Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Red/Blue Light on Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2011 9:18:59 PM

Recently I have a noticed a Red/Blue light on inside my case coming from my motherboard. When I look at the back of the case it shows the code C8. Fortunately, nothing has gone wrong since the lights have came on, I am just curious as to what it means and was wondering if anyone here knew?

Motherboard: XFX nForce 750i
CPU: Intel Q9550
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SSC just purchased a couple days ago but lights were on before putting it in my system
RAM: Don't remember the brand but it is 4G of DDR2
PSU: Again not entirely sure but its either 700-800

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 12:15:33 AM

pilpod said:
Recently I have a noticed a Red/Blue light on inside my case coming from my motherboard. When I look at the back of the case it shows the code C8. Fortunately, nothing has gone wrong since the lights have came on, I am just curious as to what it means and was wondering if anyone here knew?

Motherboard: XFX nForce 750i
CPU: Intel Q9550
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SSC just purchased a couple days ago but lights were on before putting it in my system
RAM: Don't remember the brand but it is 4G of DDR2
PSU: Again not entirely sure but its either 700-800

After having a look around, nobody really seems to be sure what C8 means.

Reboot your PC and see if it proceeds through the proper post codes or if it simply halts on post cods C8.

Most people claim that it happened after they installed new RAM and that a clearing of CMOS has solved the issue.

Keep us updated!
June 7, 2011 1:24:21 AM

When I turn my comp off the light actually stays on so is it just a power light or somthing that should not be worried about? Also, probably a dumb question, but how do I go about clearing the CMOS? And thanks for the response/help!
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 1:33:44 AM

Indeed, sounds like that LED is simply the stand-by power LED and is probably nothing to worry about.

When re-setting CMOS you should consult you motherboard manual.

However if you cannot locate said manual this is a helpful (be it short) article on how to re-set CMOS.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

Removing the small circular CMOS lithium battery overnight is often the best method.

When entering BIOS after CMOS has been re-set be sure to select the option "Load Fail Safe Defaults".

Then you will need to manually re-set the CMOS time and date and any other BIOS options you may have adjusted over time.
June 7, 2011 2:40:00 AM

Best answer selected by pilpod.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 3:25:19 AM

pilpod said:
Best answer selected by pilpod.

n
nThank you very much, and please be sure to keep us updated if your problem has not been properly adressed.
June 7, 2011 3:28:41 AM

Hmmmm, if well if it's just the power LED then I don't need to clear the CMOS do i? Also. the purpleish light does turn on/off when i turn the comp on/off, but since there has not been any real error message do you think anything needs to be fixed? Btw, thanks again for these responses, they really are helping me out.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 2:29:31 PM

pilpod said:
Hmmmm, if well if it's just the power LED then I don't need to clear the CMOS do i? Also. the purpleish light does turn on/off when i turn the comp on/off, but since there has not been any real error message do you think anything needs to be fixed? Btw, thanks again for these responses, they really are helping me out.

If everything seems to be working, then I wouldnt bother clearing CMOS.

Seeing as nobody seems to know what the C8 post code means and it does not seem to be a fatal error I would say your probably safe.
June 7, 2011 9:31:53 PM

Alright, thanks again for the responses, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my system.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 9:33:00 PM

pilpod said:
Alright, thanks again for the responses, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my system.

Not a problem, happy computing!
a c 206 V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 10:39:41 PM

AWARD Elite (Version 4.51PG) BIOS Post Code

C8 - Special Speed switching
Description : OEM Specific - Routine to handle speed switching

You should be seeing FF if everything is working correctly:

FF - Boot
Description : The system is now booted or waiting for an OS
June 8, 2011 7:46:31 PM

Uh well I just checked again and it is still showing C8. Is there anything I can do to change that or do I not need to be worried?
a c 206 V Motherboard
June 8, 2011 9:31:48 PM

pilpod said:
Uh well I just checked again and it is still showing C8. Is there anything I can do to change that or do I not need to be worried?

Are you using the latest BIOS version for that motherboard?

I think BIOS Version 1.41 was the last one ever released (February 27, 2009) for the XFX nForce 750i SLI motherboard.
June 8, 2011 9:42:43 PM

I don't believe I am. I actually put a ticket in on the XFX website and the guy responded back and told me if my system is running fine then updating the BIOS would be like fixing something that isn't broken. I am not sure if he considered my system showing the C8 code though because he didn't actually tell me what it means. I responded back a few minutes ago to see what he thinks I should do since the motherboard is still showing that code.
a c 206 V Motherboard
June 8, 2011 9:48:16 PM

C8 - Special Speed switching has to do with CPU support.

My suspicion is it's some sort of minor CPU version support issue that isn't severe enough to prevent proper operation of the motherboard.
June 8, 2011 9:53:47 PM

So you think that a BIOS update would clear up the problem? Or is it just minuscule enough that I can ignore it?
a c 206 V Motherboard
June 8, 2011 10:01:21 PM

Some BIOS releases are done to fix CPU support issues so it may fix your problem.

I don't have any specific information on what BIOS version 1.41 fixes but I have read in various forums that they had removed support for some Pentium D series CPUs that caused some problems for those owners that were using those CPUs.
June 8, 2011 10:22:46 PM

Hmmmm well I use a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and there does not seem to be any problems at the moment. I guess I should just wait and see what the XFX tech says? I have not had to update BIOS before so i don't really know how to do that.
June 9, 2011 11:18:00 PM

Alright so the XFX technician told me that any code starting with C is memory related but since the board posted fine that it probably isn't an issue. Once again, thanks for all the quick responses and help!
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2011 2:11:43 AM

pilpod said:
Alright so the XFX technician told me that any code starting with C is memory related but since the board posted fine that it probably isn't an issue. Once again, thanks for all the quick responses and help!

Not a problem!
Happy Computing!
!