Sign in with
Your question

Brand new build-fans spin but no POST

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2011 10:17:38 PM

Hi, im having the following issue with a new computer I'm building for a friend: The PC will power on (fans, lights, HD) for about 10 secs, then turn itself OFF, RESTART itself, and stay on indefinitely. It won't POST at any point in this process.

Setup:
Thermaltake defender case
Asus P8P67 EVO B3 Intel P67 1155 Motherboard
Intel i5 processor
Thermaltake 750W PSU
4GB Patriot 1666mhz RAM
Radeon HD6870 gpu
Seagate 1TB HD

The first board I used was an MSI mb which would power on for a split second then turn off immediately. After testing the PSU and booting without RAM installed I returned that board and got the ASUS board.

Steps i've taken to troubleshoot this so far:

PSU tested in other build(works fine)
Boot up w/out RAM to see if i at least get error beeps (same result)
I even took the MB+CPU+RAM from my PC and stuck it in this case because I thought it might be the raised standoffs on the case that were the issue, but this worked fine as well.
Unfortunately the board on my computer is not compatible with this CPU so I can't test the CPU independently of the mb. (this might not be the best idea anyway, in case the cpu IS faulty and damages my own board)

Any ideas on what other steps i can take to troubleshoot this would be great.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2011 1:53:19 AM

Did you read the sticky for troubleshooting?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

When it does power on, is there any video? Any beeps?

I don't recall ever seeing a new CPU that failed right out of the box, so lets for the moment exclude the CPU.
My first guess without knowing more would be ram timings in BIOS. You say you booted without ram, have you tried one stick at a time?
m
l
!