Motherboard for my new I7-930 PC (very confused guy here <--)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
hey guys,
im new to the site but i gotta say its pretty awesome!
my problem is this:
im planning on buying a new pc but i have no idea which mobo to choose...here's what i wanna put in the pc:

CPU: i7 930
RAM: 6GB OCZ @ 1600MHZ
GPU: XFX 5870 1GB
HDD: 3x SATA 500GB WDD(from my old pc)
PSU: Coolermaster GX750
(was meant for my old pc but since it
died,the psu goes in the new one)

so i plan to eventually get an additional 5870 to crossfire but ofcourse that's when i can notice a drop in performance which i hope wont be soon ;) but im afraid to get a mobo that wouldnt be able to CF @ x16 x16 or x16 x8 and i dont wanna get a mobo that wont fit to 5870s next to each other with a little space to breathe in between..
Any suggestions?
i was thinking about the Asus Rampage II Extreme,the gigabyte GA-x58-ud3r and the UD5(if i can find it) and UD7(which is pricey).
Also i plan to overclock the CPU and maybe GPU for the first time ever,so maybe that would influence ur suggestions..
i realise its a long post but really any help is appreciated..thx in advance!

Solution

Ignore his part on the PSU, Coolermaster are a decent-ish brand.. Why people slate Coolermaster is idiotic and they need to actually have experiance in working with these units before they made such rediculous statements in which his "opinion" isnt valid or necessary!!

I have that EXACT PSU in my i7 930 System containing:

i7 930 Oc'd @...

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
firstly i would wait until the ATI 6xxx series to come out, the 67xxs are coming out at the end of the month, im not sure when the rest are, i read the 6770 will outperform the 5850, so i would wait, as for the motherboard, the best x58 motherboard price vs performance would be the gigabyte x58 ud3r, also dont get that PSU, get from a trusted PSU brand such as corsair, antec, xfx, seasonic etc

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
what store will you be buying from, if you have access to microcenter, the i7 930 is $199, if you can only buy from newegg i would go for the i7 950 over the i7 930 as there is not such a price difference on newegg

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
unfortunately im in egypt,so i dont have access to all those wonderful websites,i had to buy my psu from holland during the summer and as for the 6xxx series,i doubt theyll be coming out any time soon here in egypt(technologyland of the year 0 -_-) and i havent seen any corsair PSU here,or antec or any other known brand for that matter (uuughh 0_0),but my main question is this: will i be able to fit 2 5870s on a ud3r?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Ignore his part on the PSU, Coolermaster are a decent-ish brand.. Why people slate Coolermaster is idiotic and they need to actually have experiance in working with these units before they made such rediculous statements in which his "opinion" isnt valid or necessary!!

I have that EXACT PSU in my i7 930 System containing:

i7 930 Oc'd @ 3.8ghz
6GB Geil Black Dragon Ram
2x Asus GTX 470's
Asus P6X58D-E
4 Sata HDD's
Blue Ray Optical Drive
4 Case Fans (1x 200mm, 1x 220mm, 1x 140mm and 1x120mm)

I have not had ANY issues with that Power supply for months its been installed. Also have it on another system which isnt has pushed as my own and works flawlessly. So That PSU Boosts a 5 year warranty and 80Plus rating.

Its a decent PSU, there are obviously better and ALOT worse out there. Dont be worried about it, its a good PSU mate.. Reviews ive seen also suggest this.

Solution

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
alrite man thx ALOT!! kk,final question,turns out the rampage ii thats available is the gene,so do i go with the x58a-ud3r or the rampage ii gene? again i would really like to know if i can fit 2 5870s comfortably on the gene board?
ive seen some benchmarks and the gene seems to perform better than the ud3r board. also available is the asus p6x58d-e,so any suggestions as to which i should go with would be awesome! and to the previous poster,i see that uve got 2 470's which i assume are the same size as the 5870s,do they fit comfortably on the p6x58d-e board?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
They fit fine, again the top GPU is going to lose air flow, but never over heats, runs at around 85-90oC in my system.
The limit of the GTX 470's is 105, so plenty of room in terms of temps.

Not sure on the ATI/AMD 5870's, not a fan of ATI myself, so someone would have to answer this more, but the GTX 470's in Sli is an awesome setup and works brilliantly and not much will stop this setup

The Rampage would be the better of the 3, but i went for the middle loader, the P6X58D-E, Its a good stable motherboard and has some decent overclocking features if your into that thing. Boosts 6GB Sata and 3.0USB,

Not sure if you would use these as i dont have the components linked to these, but works fien and is perfect for my situation.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
what i meant with the psu is that when you buy a corsair, antec, seasonic PSU it lasts ages and will go into your future builds, yes of course the coolermaster PSU and so on PSUs wont die straight away of course they wouldnt then absolutely no one would buy one, you only really start to distinguish a crappy psu from a good 1 in a period of time, yes the coolermaster PSU is not the worst of the worst but its not great either, i buy the trusted brands of PSUs to be on the safe side, as spending that little bit of extra money could save your whole system one day, as when a PSU goes, your whole system goes..... thats just my opinion

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

most x58 boards have sata 6gb and usb3

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

you are using a 750 watt :eek: on a system with 2 gtx 470s thats not a very wise choice, also the 750 watt is also not a very trusted brand, the gf100 cards are very power hungry, on load on crysis a single gtx 470 uses 366 watts of power, so just your 2 graphics cards on load will use 732 watts on their own, so i wouldnt be taking advice from you, the PSU is not even a very trusted brand

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

I have a Power X PSU which ive had for 4 years now running in 3 different computers. Not once have i smelt buring, or felt that it is under preforming or is at any time going to blow up.

I have a Titan Hunkey PSU, over 2 years old now and still exactly the same as above, it does what i need it to do day in day out with hassels.

I now have in my High end system, as what you call it a "Crap" PSU. Not once has it flumped in doing what a PSU is ment to do, provide power to the system. Starts up everytime without fail and has even been switched on for 23 days at the time. Flawless.

The extra money i spent on a Corsair/XFX/Anetc etc etc is far too much to even consider buying when a PSU is half the price and does exactly what i want it to do. Ive never spent the overly exessive amount the "DECENT" brands supply there PSU's for, as its over braned and FAR to expensive.

Am i lucky? No, as ive supplied many PC's, both Gaming and Internet machines with "Average" PSU and most are still in operation to this day.

Sorry, im just not jumping onto the awful single minded tunneled vision a few of you here have on regarding PSU's. Coolermaster in my eyes and in the opinion of many others ive found are a "Decent" manufactor of PSU and other PC Components.

Thing is, have you ever actaully worked on/with a Coolermaster PSU? If not, how the HELL can you say there not in the "decent" catergory??

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Riggghhhtttt.. Ok, obviously have NO clue on what your talking about.

Fact is, my system with that PSU is working fantasticly and god am i happy with it.. Coolermaster a trusted brand?? Why do you care, i have 5 years warranty on it ;)

Bye Bye

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
i did not say it was crap, i said i wouldnt recommend it, also many of the non trusted brands lie about the wattage etc, for example a gigabyte odin 585 watt is a 500 watt, we tested it, and i wouldnt trust anything that you say, as look what you bought for your system, a 750 watt for 2 gtx 470s, and i have not owned a coolermaster PSU, but a friend of mine has and it died so thats my opinion

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Mate, your only embarassing yourself. I dont care what "Crapsis" has to pull to play.

I have a Coolermaster 750w PSU which is Sli Certified and works flawlessly in what i do everyday on the system. Why would i change something which ISNT broken?

So you want me to spend £150 on a PSU which will do exactly the same as the current PSU in my system??

Please keep your opinions to yourself as you seem to have NO Clue what your on about and just post simple comments which have no regard to the current situation. Go and buy a Coolermaster PSU and then comment, or buy me the so called "decent" PSU you would recommend for my system and then i will comment pretty much the exact same i have been for months. My PSU works fine - End of!!

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
did i say you should buy a new PSU, i just think you shouldnt recommend something to a person who is getting a new build to get an under powered PSU that is risky, you dont know what you are talking about

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
lol dont know what im talking about.. Thats funny.

I have the Coolermaster 750W GX PSU in my system working fine. Why wouldnt i recommend it? It runs my components perfectly fine. What is your point?

Sorry that the mentioned PSU is preforming well and doing whats its ment to.. Dont buy this product. It works fine!!

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

But it is.. HA :)

Come back when you have a system like mine.. Till then, save up boy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.