Sign in with
Your question

PCI slots not working, usb ports not charging

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2011 2:12:48 AM

Hello, everyone!

A few weeks ago, I replaced my PSU (same wattage: 600w), and since then, I've been having an issue: my PCI wireless adapter is no longer functioning.

I did not believe it to be a driver issue, as it simultaneously stopped working under Windows7 and my Ubuntu 10.10 partitions immediately swapping out my PSU. Though I have tried un-installing and re-installing the driver several times.

First, I tried to re-seat the wireless adapter. I have 3 PCI slots, and I tried each one in turn, several times, with no result. The card has a small, LED light, that now fails to illuminate. Thinking it was the wireless adapter, I purchased a new one, which also failed in each of the PCI slots, its LED refusing to light. This after installing the driver from disk, and again it fails to recognized in Windows and Ubuntu.

This is when I noticed that each of my USB 2.0 ports, both those from the front panel, and those on the MB itself, cannot power a device. This may take some explaining, so see below for various USB devices and how they behave:

Thumb driver: fully functional
USB external hard-drive with power source (connects to wall socket): fully functional
USB external hard-drive (no additional power-source): will not mount, drive does not spin up. (Drive works without flaw with all other PCs.)
iPod: Does not mount / charge
iPhone / Android phone: will mount, but will not charge

At this stage, I thought perhaps the new PSU was bad, so I reconnected the old the PSU. (The old PSU was functional, and only replaced because the fan made an audible "clicking" sound that I could not rid with compressed air. I didn't want to open it up, so I replaced.)

So at this stage, I am uncertain where to go. I fear I may have somehow damaged the MB when installing the new PSU. During the ordeal the MB has been set to default / optimal settings to rule out an IRQ conflict.

If anyone has an idea of what else I may do to troubleshoot this issue(s), I would be greatly appreciative, to say the least. :) 

Thanks.
a c 98 V Motherboard
June 8, 2011 2:42:53 PM

Here is some information of interest. Typically, USB ports deliver less than 3 watts.
http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/usb_stuff.html

The above article lists the power requirements of many common devices.

From what you are describing, it seems that the power circuit of the USB ports is damaged.

If everything else works fine, I would continue to use it, without plugging in devices that draw power from the USB ports.

And, reading your post, I noticed that you used a can of compressed air to clean the fans. When you do this, block and prevent the fans from rotating. Because, compressed air may spin the fans ((bearings) above the designed RPM limits and cause a failure of the fans (bearings).
m
l
June 8, 2011 3:39:34 PM

Ubrales,

Thanks for the reply. I imagine you're right about the usb circuit, and I can live with that. I'm more concerned about the 3 PCI slots. I suspect something similar has happened to them (that is, a damaged circuit).Wondering if anyone out there knows a way of testing the conclusively.....

Thanks again.
m
l
a c 98 V Motherboard
June 8, 2011 4:12:03 PM

Moothu said:
Ubrales,

Thanks for the reply. I imagine you're right about the usb circuit, and I can live with that. I'm more concerned about the 3 PCI slots. I suspect something similar has happened to them (that is, a damaged circuit).Wondering if anyone out there knows a way of testing the conclusively.....

Thanks again.

The only items that I plug into a USB port are flash drives, mouse, and external keyboard.

I make sure that all other devices such as external storage have their own AC adapter for power. There are some 2 1/2" SATA external storage devices that draw their power from the USB ports, but I avoid such devices.

Now to the second part of your question. A repair shop will definitely have devices to test the condition of the PCI slots. The only way I know of is to insert a known good PCI card in it and to see whether it runs. Maybe some others reading these posts can add to this.
m
l
!