Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming Rig Canada

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2010 5:34:11 PM

I've been out of the scene for a loooong time but am looking to throw together a budget gaming rig. I'd prefer to stay Canadian if possible as buying out of the US introduces good old tax and duty.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: 600?

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ncix.com. newegg.ca PREFERABLY memoryexpress.com (horrible website though)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Soviet Republic of Canuckistan

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (if not possible in budget - would love to be able to later on)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Open to anything

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Cheaper the better. I am a racing guy - function over form all the way.
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2010 6:26:18 PM

Here's what I'd recommend. You can check prices on the parts as I really don't want to dig for the prices.

CPU: X3 440
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (this might be expensive there, so I can find some others that are cheaper)
RAM: Any non-OCZ 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 kit
GPU: HD 5770
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or Seagate 7200.12 500 GB
PSU: Any 650W unit from Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, SeaSonic or Antec
Case: Antec 200, Antec 300, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster Elite, Coolermaster Centurion 5, Coolermaster 690
Optical: The cheapest SATA DVD burner you can find
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B (SCMG-2100). This can wait.

I'm positive that'll be over budget, but it might now.

EDIT: Crap. Just noticed you need an OS and a monitor. You're not going to get a quality build if you need those under the $600 budget. That'll add a good $250-300 by themselves, leaving only $300 for the tower. That makes it impossible to build anything that will game.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2010 6:46:31 PM

Sorry - screwed up my initial post - have OS & monitor. Pricing out MadAdmiral's build now - it is essentially what I'd had down before from reading all the other threads on here. Appreciate it!
!