Sign in with
Your question

I need advice on how to set this up

Last response: in Networking
March 30, 2010 10:40:33 PM

Hello,

This is the first time I work with Cisco :-( Our small company is now part of a bigger group and we've moved to a new office. The switches came from a different office (they were configured by an outsourced IT company).

We have the following:
1 Cisco 3560g (24port)
2 Cisco 2960g (7 port)
1 DLink DES-1026G 24+2G
Firewall ZyWALL USG 200

Internet IP connection 2mbps/2mbps with a Cisco 878 router

We have no servers for the moment.

I need like 45 clients connected to the same LAN and provide internet to all of them. What do you suggest?. I guess I'll have to reset the Cisco switches to the factoy settings to clear all the VLANs and start from there.

I guess I'll have to connect the router to one port of the 3560g and then up-link the 2960s and the DLink.

The problem is that I'd like to seggregate from the LAN 6 computers that are old and can't be updated (they run Windows XP with SP1 and can't be updated due to the old software we run on them). I don't know how to do it, can I use 2 different VLANs?. We use a NAS disc, these 5 computers should get access to the NAS disk but not to the rest of the LAN and the rest of the LAN should get access to the NAS disk but not those 5 old computers.

If they are on a different VLAN how they will communicate with the other VLAN and get internet access?. I don't believe I can add computers/printers linked to the DLINK (unmanaged switch) to any VLAN right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading it.

Jud

More about : advice set

April 1, 2010 3:51:27 AM

Alright this might not solve your problem COMPLETELY, but it should give you a start... I'm working on my degree in Networking in a Cisco-based program so im no expert, but I do have about two years experience.

Vlans would be exactly what you would want to use to segregate those older computers. By placing them on a seperate vlan from the other 45, they will have no access to each other. In order to give them all access to the internet you have two options, either using one router for each vlan or configuring one router with subinterfaces. Subinterfaces allow each vlan to run through the same line, yet remain "segregated". you configure the subinterfaces and then assign a vlan to each one. as long as your NAS is "after" the router they should all be able to access it.

I didn't include any of the configuration syntaxes, I hope that you can figure out how to navigate the setting up of vlans and subinterfaces if that's what you decide to with. You sound as though you do have some experience even though you said you were new to cisco.

Good luck, and I really hope this helped.
!