PC Upgrade / Bottleneck ?

G

Hello, im wanting to upgrade my custom built pc as it cant run any newish games like bad company 2 with playable/stable. I not 100% sure what to upgrade but ill give you my spec's and the rough idea i have of what i think the solution is. :p

My System
AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE, OC @3.2 Ghz max (2.7 stock)
ATI Radeon HD 4850 (Asus Branded EAH dual slot version) OC @700Mhz (core) , 1100Mhz (Memory) 512MB Ram
PNY 2GB DDR2 800Mhz (5, 5, 5 , 5, 18, 25)
ASUS (M3A78-CM) Micro ATX AMD 780V
Corsair 450W VX
22" Monitor @ 650x1050

I was thinking of getting the following upgrades, i would appreciate some advice to wether this would fix my low fps.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE AM3 (Im assuming this would fit in my am2+ motherboard ?)
2GB PNY DDR2 800Mhz (Same model as i have already)
- Not relevant to performance but , Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard :)

or alternatively i could get a HD 5850 within my budget

I would appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
My budget is £225 .

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
I would say another 2gb of ram, and probably a video card. Something mid line-ish, say a gtx460 or 470, or a 5850 or 5870. At 3.2 I don't think your CPU is the bottle neck. You can always push it a little further and see if that helps, but I believe the results will be marginal.

G

in battlefield bad company 2 where i experienced LOTS of lag, cpu utilization in task manager is at 100% if that helps ?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Ok, if your at 100 percent, then yeah you need to upgrade the cpu. Do you have a lot of background processes going? If you find you can't cut down the CPU cycles while gaming, then disregard my last post and upgrade the CPU first.

G

i use amd fusion for gaming utility which turns off all the uneeded processes/tasks for online gaming , im sure my ram is is too low but just cant tell wether cpu or gpu is holding me back the most.

G

ty very much for the feedback guys, iv weighed up my options and ill go with the CPU and Ram for now :p