Installing mobo into case

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I have the Asus P8Z68-V PRO and my case is an Antec P-180 that I had from about 5 years ago.
I'm installing the mobo into the case and when I screw down the mobo into the case, none of the screws stop tightening. they all keep turning as I screw them. they seem to be holding the mobo in place, but the last time I built a PC, the screws would get to the point where they would stop turning and you knew it was tight. I know you're not supposed to overtighten it, but are the screws supposed to be like this?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
mosox, i'm not sure which of the screws on that site i need. in case i didn't explain myself properly, let me explain it again. my case comes with those screws that get screwed at the bottom of the case that the mobo sits on. i think they are called standoffs? i can't take those off because they are attached to the case. so i put the mobo on those screws so all the holes on the mobo are lined up. the mobo comes with two little bags of screws. one bag has about 3 different types of screws including the standoffs. the other little bag only has one type of screws and those are the ones I used to screw the mobo into the standoffs. but when i'm turning the screws with my screwdriver, they don't eventually get tight and stop turning. they keep turning. so can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're using the screws that came with your P8Z68 to attach the motherboard to stand-offs that came with your case? Is that correct?

If it is, those stand-offs and screws may not be matched. I would recommend just using the screws that you were using prior to the P8Z68. Is that possible?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
yes this is correct. is it bad if I skip a hole? are the screws an important part of the mobo or is it just to keep it down onto the case?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

The screws are just there to keep it down into the case. In fact, each screw is completely electrically disconnected from the motherboard. You don't need them for "operation" of the system whatsoever. I would note that if you're planning on using a heavy heat sink -- like the Hyper 212+, you want to be pretty sure that you have the motherboard mounted in there pretty good, because the entire load of the heat sink sits on those standoffs when the system is put in a "tower" position.