My GPU sits idle @80c... HELP!

Hey all, so I have a notebook with an nvidia 360m GPU, I dont know what happened because it never used to sit idle @ 80c.. Normal idle temp is around 35-40c.. never this hot.

I need some advice on what to do or how to fix this. And if possible tell what could be happening?

thanks for your help!

CHEERS!
22 answers Last reply
More about sits idle help
  1. Well, dust may have clogged up the heatsink/fan causing the GPU to overheat, you'll probably need to clear out the dust.
  2. yeah, i just cleaned it like 2 weeks ago, and it wasnt even dirty.
  3. Did you install new drivers recently? There have been issues of this nature on drivers before.

It's also possible the fan gave out, or windows is not configured correctly to lower the clocks when not under load.
  4. boujhi said:
    yeah, i just cleaned it like 2 weeks ago, and it wasnt even dirty.

How did you clean it ? Can of air ?
  5. notty22 said:
    How did you clean it ? Can of air ?

yeah, but the thing is, it was really dust free, the copper is still really shiny and the notebook is only a few months old, The cpu and gpu share the heatsink and fan, but the cpu is sitting fine.

my cpu sits at 30-35 idle or under load, and its temps are fine, so its not the heatsink.

Do you think my gpu could have dissconnected?
  6. I was trying to deduce if you took your laptop apart. If your saying the copper was shiny , I take it you did ? I would say you messed something up. You have to be very careful with laptops, the torque,tightening sequence on the lid.
  7. well for one, its an nvidia :lol: but you likely clogged or didnt clean the fan right, or actually messed it the actually card up, touching it, jamming it, u probably budged it making heat conductivity bad. if not that, it might be the software and drivers
  8. The heatsink might have shifted when you messed with it. Did you check to make sure the sink is making contact with the GPU?
  9. soo, hey, thing is, i didnt mess with it. I just took off the bottom to reveal the parts. I didnt mess with anything, just made sure there wasnt any dust bunnies just got the little dust out of it.

Its been working fine untill today, I did this a few weeks ago, and I said I did to prove it wasnt due to poor circulation.

the point is, this isnt normal, and im wondering what could cause this?

If you can nail whats wrong with it, please comment, but if you just wanna make fun of it, plz hold your comments to yourself.
  10. Quote:
    ha ha ha

not so funny...
  11. i won't recommend opening a laptop without much knowledge...
    and since its only few months old you should have made use of warranty provided by the company.. and now you void your warranty by opening it.. its a big mistake done by you..
    now take it to some tech pro and get the entire thing checked, your manufacturer is not going to do anything on it now..
  12. guys plz stop assuming stuff,

you can open the back of any laptop, and it wont void the warrenty.
    when you take out the CPU heatsink, thats when its void because there is a seal that says VOID IF BROKEN,

none of that was done. I still have a warrenty and everything is good.
  13. He obviously hasn't messed with anything to cause the GPU to overheat, think about it....

It was working fine, then (suddenly) the GPU idles at 80C, THEN he decides to take the cover off the laptop, so the problem was already there before he did anything.

@OP uninstall the old drivers and install the latest driver from nVidia's website.
  14. Best answer selected by boujhi.
  15. perhaps the most undeserving best answer ever..
  16. i think i should make some post like "hahaha" to get mine marked as best answer
  17. Rustyy117 said:
    He obviously hasn't messed with anything to cause the GPU to overheat, think about it....

It was working fine, then (suddenly) the GPU idles at 80C, THEN he decides to take the cover off the laptop, so the problem was already there before he did anything.

@OP uninstall the old drivers and install the latest driver from nVidia's website.

You got the order wrong. He took the cover off to clean it two weeks ago. Then today or two weeks after its now hitting 80c.
    Something may have flexed, shifted or even torquing of the plate has effected components, as show here. Its one possible explanation.
  18. Oh right, I was just thinking "Why would he take it apart if there wasn't a problem?" and so then assumed it must have been overheating first, then he took it apart.

Just to early for me.
  19. @best answer
  20. more like triple face-palm...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Notebooks Nvidia Graphics