Computer Reviews/Thoughts

Golgothite

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I'm a long time Toms Hardware reader but a first time poster and since my laptop is about 3+ years old I've decided to go ahead and build my own desktop for the first time. Now I have experienced builders around me that are willing to help me with the actual building of the system, but I was wondering if what you all thought of the system I've put together on a part-by-part basis. I've posted it below and I'd love to hear what you all think! :)

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. I've read a lot of the reviews on Newegg and I'm worried about receiving a dead RAM slot. Thoughts?

Case: COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case. The idea here is future proofing, so that I have a case that everything and anything will fit into.

CPU: i7-930, pretty standard for newer builds. I'm not looking to get into any serious over clocking my fist time out so this will do just fine into the low 3s on air right?

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998805. Seems standard and good CAS latency and timings.

CPU Fan: Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Main Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). Just got this for the speed.

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready. Great reviews on Newegg. Seems solid.

Graphics: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. Went with this one for warranty from XFX. Thoughts?

EDIT:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late Next Week

BUDGET RANGE:1800-2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1080p movies, gaming(SC2 on Ultra), multitasking

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Any of your comments or input would be greatly appreciated, especially on the Motherboard. Thanks!

You'd do better if you gave us a budget on the total build. I'd look at the guidelines through the link in my signature. You're definitely wasting money on some of the parts.

I'm assuming you're building this for gaming, so if that's not right, let me know.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. It's one of the best around and is fairly cheap for the features it provides.
Case: I know you can get better/cheaper cases. Check out the HAF 922. It's the most expensive case you'll ever need to buy. It's a mid tower that's bigger than most full towers.
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9. Faster and likely cheaper.
HSF: Noctua NH-D14. Why get anything less than the best?
PSU: That's a good one. I'd also look at the XFX ones as they are excellent and come in great combos with the GPUs. May want to consider an 850W with my next suggestion.
SSD: Leave it out for now. They'll be cheap soon.
GPU: Up that to the HD 5970. You should be able to afford it without the SSD. If not, consider dropping down to an i5-750 build.

Have a look at the Asus P6X58D-E, as it only cuts out a few minor features compared to the Premium or the MSI X58A-GD65 or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

I would recommend the Antec Truepower New TP-750 as the CPU connector cables are a bit longer (54cm vs 49.5cm), which might come in handy with such a large case. It also has higher efficiency (80Plus Bronze vs standard) and partial modularity which are nice bonuses.

Golgothite

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hey MadAdmiral,

I was wondering about a couple of your suggestions. Why the 2000 RAM? Isn't latency that high going to reduce speed? And the gigabyte Mobo doesn't seem like it supports that RAM speed. It supports 2200, but not 2000. So can you post a little clarification?

Also, I think that the graphics card I have in place will be more than enough, but I'd be willing to switch brands of 5870 though if you have any suggestions. EDIT: thanks for turning me onto the Power supply graphics card combos, definitely going to go with one of those.

Why are SSDs going to drop?

tecmo34

Administrator
1st... Welcome to Tom's

[strike]2nd... Do you have a budget to work with and were do you plan to purchase from. Basically, we are looking for the information provided in the template in this thread... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice[/strike]... Never mind... already completed

3rd... Your build looks really god and solid. I would make sure to include a Storage drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB to go with SSD. Also, I would look at the ASUS P6X58D-E as good alternative to the Premium. Similar features at lower price. I'm a fan of the ATCS 840, so I'm good with it. You'll receive other recommendations, like the HAF 932, HAF X (942), Silverstone RV02... etc. You'll want to get the case you like the best, since you are the one that has to look at it everyday.

RAM speeds quoted by boards aren't the only speeds it supports, just the maximum.

The high latencies will reduce speeds, but once you adjust for the speed (from 2000 mhz to 1600 mhz), the latencies will drop to CL 6. Tom's did a review of several high end sticks and came away recommending the Tridents.

That's fine. The 5870 is a great card anyway. It's just that the 5970 is amazing.

Because it's newer technology. They're releasing newer, faster, larger SSDs almost every day. That causes the prices to drop. Buying a SSD right now will get you a smaller, slower drive that won't last as long for a premium. I fully expect to be able to pick up a 120 GB quality SSD for under $200 in less than a year.

EDIT: By the way, here's my $2,000 build:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $484
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $185
GPU: HD 5970 $630 with promo code
SSD: Intel X25-M 80 GB $219
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case: HAF 922 $90
PSU: Corsair 850W Modular $160 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 $90

Total: $1,953

I should point out that this is massive overkill for your listed uses...

Golgothite

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

Then what would you recommend for a good interim main drive? a velociraptor?(Can't spell that) Or should I just stick with a regular 500GB WD or something?

Golgothite

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

I know that, but I'm the type of person who likes to get something that will be high-end/top of the line for at least a little while. Plus, I've got to be able to play Heart of the Swarm when it comes out! ;-P lol, there's no way it'll get even close to your 2000 config, much less mine. Unless Blizzard releases a massive graphics update.

What's the difference between the SSD you posted and this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023