Looking to upgrade my video card, but nothing crazy!

ffmedic42

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

I have been searching the forums on this subject and getting some great info. However, I am looking to upgrade my card, but nothing crazy. I currently have an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX. It has been a great card, but I am looking at all these other cards and had a little extra cash this month, so why not, right? Anyway, I run 2 monitors off my card. One is a Acer H233H and the other is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW. I usually play games on one and use the other for surfing, watching a movie, etc. I am also looking into a new card for the HDMI upgrade aspect of it all. I have been looking at the XFX Radeon HD 5770. Am I on the right path? It has been some time since I was in the hardware "loop" and prices are always changing and new/better stuff is always comming out, haha. Anyway, thanks in advance. Appreciate the help!
B

ffmedic42

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the info guys! I mostly have WoW up, but I want something for amateur video editing/ watching a movie as I'm playing type of thing.

I'm not too sure about overclocking as I have always stayed away. But the more I read, the more I'm interested in squeezing out some more HP from what I have, and the more I become confused, haha.

ffmedic42

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the info. That card looks hot! I'll most likely save up for that one. Would have got it today, but the new baby's room remodel took priority, haha. Thanks again!

ffmedic42

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Nope, not just WoW. Just used it as an example. However, I don't really play too many games on my PC these days until SC2 comes out. That is why I wasn't going to go with a huge upgrade.

The HD5770 will be a decent upgrade but not huge, something along the lines of 35% but it will also give you DX11 compatibility and use significantly less power, especially at idle.
If you can save up and snag the HD5850 it is a good idea. It would be approximately twice as powerful as your 8800GTX at stock and can overclock a huge amount(30-40%) on top of that. If you want a card that could last you 3 or so years like your old one then that is the way to go. I'd recommend this one in particular;
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1273/1/