I7 trouble?

G

Hello,

I just bought the following: i7 950, asus sabertooth, 6gb memory
and a zephyr mx 650w power supply

and I can't get the thing to start!

I installed the mobo on my case a mid tower.. and then I put the cpu in.. and stuck the retail fan cooler thing on it.. and just fixed it in place

then I put the fan cable into the cpu fan pin on the mobo

then I attached one blank hdd and one nvidia 7800 card

the power supply I have had two pin connectors one with a 8 pin atx and another two 4+4 ones.. I used the atx 8 pin one in that atx slot for it.. and then used the main connector 20pin in the place provided.. there is 4 pins left out, I've kept it left out.. I have another 4 pin thing thats there, but it's hard to fit in.

I didnt connect any inputs to the case.. I plugged it in.. and nothing.. well the motherboard led light is on green.. but the cpu fan isnt starting.. the power supply fan isnt starting nothing..

Now is there is something I'm missing?

I think I may have left the plastic strip on the stock cooling where the thermal compound is on.. but that would have heated away, no?

So whats left?

If anyone can help I'd be grateful!

Solution
my power supply is a HEC ZEPHYR MX 650W

It doesnt get to a boot, because the cpu fan doesnt spin at all and neither does the power supply fan..

Sounds like the connection on PANEL (power switch plug on motherboard) may not be plugged in properly or CMOS jumper is on clear not normal
G

It doesnt get to a boot, because the cpu fan doesnt spin at all and neither does the power supply fan..

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010

Sounds like the connection on PANEL (power switch plug on motherboard) may not be plugged in properly or CMOS jumper is on clear not normal

Solution
G

YES!

That was it - the damn connection to front panel wasnt connected.. the pin was bent!

something so simple that I overlooked it - THANK YOU!