Problems Installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I just built my first system and I had planned to install Windows 7 on it. I've run into a bit of trouble and I'm getting an error when I go to install the disk. I get "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" when I put in the disk. I've checked the SATA connections to the hard drive and dvd-rom drive as well as checking the boot priorities in the BIOS. I have them set as dvd-rom, hard disk, flash drive. Everything seems to be in order, but I still get the error. I'm wondering if possibly I managed to mess up while burning the copy of Windows 7. After I finished downloading Windows 7 my cd burning program recognized the iso file and i just clicked on it and told it to burn. Did I skip a step and forget to do something or is that the correct procedure?

Thanks for the help and I appreciate any other suggestions that can help get my new computer up and running.

Update:
Decided to try a copy of XP that I have and it seems to load and work fine. So either I copied W7 wrong or it was just a bad copy.

Solution
Two things;

1. You cannot just burn an ISO file onto a DVD (or a CD)... you need to use an ISO burning tool... imgburn is good and free. (the reason is that it is the only way to make a bootable ROM disk)

2. Use the slowest burn speed you can... installation disks are very fussy about the quality of the burn as I have learned to my cost.

FWIW, Windows 7 installed fine on my new i7 build in under 20 minutes and Windows 7 has native ISO burning built in, unlike XP and Vista.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Two things;

1. You cannot just burn an ISO file onto a DVD (or a CD)... you need to use an ISO burning tool... imgburn is good and free. (the reason is that it is the only way to make a bootable ROM disk)

2. Use the slowest burn speed you can... installation disks are very fussy about the quality of the burn as I have learned to my cost.

FWIW, Windows 7 installed fine on my new i7 build in under 20 minutes and Windows 7 has native ISO burning built in, unlike XP and Vista.

Solution

mattbu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
The first two attempts I used Sonic to burn. I figured since it recognized the file type it would work. I guess I was wrong. At the moment I'm using Active ISO Burner at the slowest speed possible. Hopefully this works out.

Thanks for the reply.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Good to hear.

So far, I like Win7... it has a nice clean interface and boots in seconds on my i7. Plus I only have 30 processes running rather than the 60 odd that XP started with (that was the Dell version and so had the usual bloatware so I dunno how many processes real XP normally starts with).

Status
Not open for further replies.