Saving Camera files problem.

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 27, 2004 12:31:02 AM

Daughter at Uni has bought Digital Camera, (without really thinking).

Doesn't have easy access to a PC or the internet to download images.

Anyone know if it's possible to directly download them from the camera straight to an
external hard-drive 'thingy', or any other simple solution, so she can store hundreds
of photos, without having to keep on buying data cards.

Thanks for any advice offered.

--
Regards ..... Steve R.
Anonymous

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Daughter at Uni has bought Digital Camera, (without really thinking).
>
> Doesn't have easy access to a PC or the internet to download images.
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to directly download them from the camera
> straight to an
> external hard-drive 'thingy', or any other simple solution, so she can
> store hundreds
> of photos, without having to keep on buying data cards.
>
> Thanks for any advice offered.
>
> --
> Regards ..... Steve R.

What's her major? Try taking the card to Wal-Mart and put the pics on a CD.
Then buy her a laptop like the rest of the kids at the Uni.......
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:45:10 AM

Steve R. wrote:
> Daughter at Uni has bought Digital Camera, (without really thinking).
>
> Doesn't have easy access to a PC or the internet to download images.
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to directly download them from the camera straight to an
> external hard-drive 'thingy', or any other simple solution, so she can store hundreds
> of photos, without having to keep on buying data cards.
>
> Thanks for any advice offered.
>
> --
> Regards ..... Steve R.

Hi Steve...

Some printers will print directly from the cards, no computer
necessary.

The Kodak kiosks will print from the cards, too. Some will
simultaneously burn her a CD, so that she'll have backups.

One of her school friends must have a machine; perhaps
as at least a short term solution she could use it.

If you have anything left after the holiday expenses;
perhaps a laptop... belated gift? This serving dual
purposes, both her pics and her education - so might even
be worthwhile getting her even if it strains the budget
a bit.

Finally - she gets two or three cards... fills one,
mails it back to the old man - who downloads it, packs
it up and mails it back (with the obligatory check, of
course :)  This too serves dual purposes. Keeps her in
touch; and relieves her of having to ask for a little
more allowance once in a while :)

Hope she's successful in her studies, and happy in her
temporary home.

Ken
December 27, 2004 12:59:42 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote in message ...
> One of her school friends must have a machine; perhaps
> as at least a short term solution she could use it.

That's what she plans, but I'm concerned about a "falling-out" of friendship
happening if she wants to put too many images on a friend's PC. I've seen it happen
before :-(

> Finally - she gets two or three cards... fills one,
> mails it back to the old man - who downloads it, packs
> it up and mails it back (with the obligatory check, of
> course :)

I like that idea and I could send her back some nicely 'photoshopped' images, as her
old film camera contained a fair few badly cropped or light/dark images. I'm not sure
about the check idea tho' (cheque here in the UK) as I'd be receiving a data-card in
the post every day if she thought ££'s were being returned each time :~)

--
Regards ..... Steve R.
Anonymous

Steve R. wrote:

> Ken Weitzel wrote in message ...
>
>>One of her school friends must have a machine; perhaps
>>as at least a short term solution she could use it.
>

> That's what she plans, but I'm concerned about a "falling-out" of friendship
> happening if she wants to put too many images on a friend's PC. I've seen it happen
> before :-(

Ahhh. Then if the potential friend machine has a cd burner in
it a work around might be for your girl to provide a
supply of blanks for both to share. Compensation for the
use of the friend machine. Cheap nowdays. She could bring
a spindle of 100 once in a while; and each girl could
store her own date. Just a thought.

>>Finally - she gets two or three cards... fills one,
>>mails it back to the old man - who downloads it, packs
>>it up and mails it back (with the obligatory check, of
>>course :)
>

> I like that idea and I could send her back some nicely 'photoshopped' images, as her
> old film camera contained a fair few badly cropped or light/dark images. I'm not sure
> about the check idea tho' (cheque here in the UK) as I'd be receiving a data-card in
> the post every day if she thought ££'s were being returned each time :~)

Oops, one of your colonies here (Canada). I'm 'bout
75 miles from the US border, so we have a mish mash of
English and American spelling. For instance, we have
"tires" on our cars like the Americans, but we pay for them
with a "cheque" - like you. We might accidentally scrape them
on the "curb" like the Americans, though. And we take "colour"
photos, again like you :)

And if no pounds are to be sent with each mail, then
there should at least be some of her Mom's home cooking :)

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 2:02:27 AM

In article <ivGzd.7389$Ar5.6926@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the check idea tho' (cheque here in the UK) as I'd
> be receiving a data-card in the post every day if she thought ££'s
> were being returned each time :~)

HA! That's GREAT!! :)

"Dear Dad, These 8mb cards fill up so FAST!"

:)
JR
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 11:25:54 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:
[]
> Oops, one of your colonies here (Canada). I'm 'bout
> 75 miles from the US border, so we have a mish mash of
> English and American spelling. For instance, we have
> "tires" on our cars like the Americans, but we pay for them
> with a "cheque" - like you. We might accidentally scrape them
> on the "curb" like the Americans, though. And we take "colour"
> photos, again like you :)
>
> And if no pounds are to be sent with each mail, then
> there should at least be some of her Mom's home cooking :)

... and even some French spelling, IIRC!
<G>

David
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:51:33 PM

Thanks everyone for their useful and amusing responses.

Spoke to my neighbour (neighbor) this morning who travels a lot and he showed me just
the device I was looking for.

I'ts a battery-powered external hard-drive with a slot for a 'Compact Flash' card in
the side to download up to 20Gb of data with a USB connector to connect to his PC
when he gets home.

It does the job perfectly, but cost him around £130 UK pounds. Guess there might be
some cheaper versions kicking around :~)

So that's it sorted then.

--
Regards ..... Steve R.
Anonymous

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> writes:
> It does the job perfectly, but cost him around £130 UK pounds. Guess
> there might be some cheaper versions kicking around :~)

Just how many pictures are you talking about? You said "hundreds".
What resolution camera?

I'm asking this because you can get 1 GB flash card for around 70 USD
or 40 GBP. With my 2 megapixel camera, that card will hold well over
1000 pictures. That's simpler than some gizmo with a hard drive.

What you really want though is a CD burner with a CF slot. Delkin
makes something like that but I don't know how much it costs. With
one, you can burn CD's galore, so you'll have plenty of backup copies.
!