Gaming build

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: today or anytime in the next few weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: under 500, close to 400 much better.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, transcoding 1080P in real-time streamed to ps3.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Mouse, case and fans, video card, 64GB ssd, Hard drives,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg. Not a strong preference but I have used them before and I trust them.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: Nothing too extreme. maybe 20%

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire likely down the road.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 primary, 1680x1050 secondary monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have a HD5770 and may get a second early 2011, so crossfire would be nice. I also have 4 harddrives for storage and a 64GB ssd for the system drive.

---
Is this a good build? What's a good budget i5 cooler? Or is the stock cooler decent these days?

Intel Core i5-750
ASUS P7P55 LX
$284

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
$110 after rebate

free shipping
Total $394
7 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. The second PCI-E slot on the Asus P7P55 LX is x4, which is probably not worth adding a second graphics card to.
    The motherboard in this combo, I believe, has two slots at x8: Intel Core i5-750 & EVGA P55V 120-LF-E651-TR $270 ($20 rebate).

The deal on that PSU & RAM is fantastically good, so I'm a bit reluctant to point out that OCZ RAM has a bad reputation for being difficult to run at the specified speed/timings/voltage, as you may have no problems, and it will be very difficult to find any other combo of RAM and PSU for a similar low price.

What size heatsink can your case accommodate? The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus below $30 is probably one of the best choices you can make for cooling performance.
  2. The EVGA P55V 120-LF-E651-TR you suggest is for SLI, not crossfire.

I'm thinking about getting the Antec 900 for $65 on newegg. That way I can keep my current computer functional once I get a video card for it.
  3. Sorry I saw two PCI-E slots at x8 and assumed that it would do crossfire. Looks this will be the cheapest motherboard: MSI P55A-G55 $125 ($20 rebate, $3 shipping).

Yea the Antec 900 will be able to accommodate pretty much any heatsink on the market. Do you have an upper limit on price for a heatsink? Any preference for quiet?
  4. I would pay as much seems reasonable to put into a cpu cooler paired with that RAM. At some point it would be better to put aftermarket cooling $ into a better CPU on stock cooling.
    So maybe $20- 35.
    Not extremely loud would be nice.
    I have been putting my case in my closet with the cables running under the door. Then opening the door to playing games or if it's a hot day to stay cool. So quiet is not critical.
  5. That RAM is now out of stock and won't be on sale anymore once they get more in. So I'm back to square one.
  6. How does this look for $114?
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=MP&scriteria=BD11454
    Says it's 8x/8x crossfire.
  7. Looks pretty hard to beat.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product