Sign in with
Your question

Installing new SSD - current HDD RAID setup

Last response: in Storage
October 29, 2012 8:45:51 PM

I currently have 2 HDDs setup with RAID 0.

I will be installing a new SSD and doing a clean install of Windows 8 on this SSD. Erasing everything on the HDDs also.

Currently I checked and my HDDs are setup in SATA0 and SATA4 (for some reason..) and my DVD is SATA1

My plan was to connect the SDD to SATA0 and not connect the HDDs until setup is complete.

Then put the HDDs in SATA1 and SATA2. Moving the DVD to SATA4.

when my computer boots now the RAID utilty starts...what will this do if the HDDs are no longer there? I would be booting from the Windows 8 DVD and installing onto the SDD.

I have to research and remember how to re-setup my RAID given I will be changing the SATA locations, correct?

Does the BIOS identify the DVD when it is connected to SATA4 or will I have to go in and tell it? Same for the HDDs....

thanks, sorry for the Newbie questions.
October 29, 2012 8:53:45 PM

It shouldn't mater what port your DVD or HDDs are plugged into. Most (if not all) southbridge provided SATA RAID controllers will store RAID setup information on the drives themselves, so when you remove them the controller will not know the array's existence and will not complain about missing disks. If you reattach them later in any available ports the array will continue to work and there is no reason to delete and recreate the array.
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:29:17 PM

zyky said:
It shouldn't mater what port your DVD or HDDs are plugged into. Most (if not all) southbridge provided SATA RAID controllers will store RAID setup information on the drives themselves, so when you remove them the controller will not know the array's existence and will not complain about missing disks. If you reattach them later in any available ports the array will continue to work and there is no reason to delete and recreate the array.

good to hear, thx.
m
l
!