Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless router forums

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 29, 2010 1:21:37 AM

Question if I changed from wpa2 to wep in security do I have to do anything else in my configurations to any of the computers on this network ?

I have a linksys 610n, I want to use it wireless with a play station 3 to run netflix from another room

More about : wireless router forums

Best solution

June 29, 2010 6:57:14 AM

justabrake said:
Question if I changed from wpa2 to wep in security do I have to do anything else in my configurations to any of the computers on this network ?

I have a linksys 610n, I want to use it wireless with a play station 3 to run netflix from another room

[#0005ff]Firstly, what you're proposing to do isn't a good move. WEP or Wired Equivalent Protocol, is the weakest of the security systems because, as the name infers, it was developed only for wired systems and not for those which broadcast signals outside your own home.

If you do go ahead and someone else uses your network for illicit or even illegal purposes, you'll have a hard time proving you didn't do it yourself.

Now to your question - yes, every computer would need to be told the new security key on first connection to the router.
[/#000ff]
June 29, 2010 11:42:09 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]Firstly, what you're proposing to do isn't a good move. WEP or Wired Equivalent Protocol, is the weakest of the security systems because, as the name infers, it was developed only for wired systems and not for those which broadcast signals outside your own home.

If you do go ahead and someone else uses your network for illicit or even illegal purposes, you'll have a hard time proving you didn't do it yourself.

Now to your question - yes, every computer would need to be told the new security key on first connection to the router.
[/#000ff]

Do you know what other PS3 owners use for a (wireless security) on a PS3 in their network?, I'm also using a mac ,pc, and an iphone also.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2010 9:59:34 AM

since it is a dual router can I use WEP alone for the PS3 and wpa2 for the rest of the devices ?
July 1, 2010 7:14:01 PM

justabrake said:
since it is a dual router can I use WEP alone for the PS3 and wpa2 for the rest of the devices ?

I know very little about PS3 so I can't answer that but I reckon the best and safest bet is to cable the PS3 if that's possible and leave the wireless security at the highest level you can - WPA2. I thought gamers preferred wired connections for latency reasons anyway.

July 1, 2010 7:59:43 PM

It's my sons PS3 and it's usually wired in his room, I just wanted it to put in another room while he's away so I could use it for netflix, I have a 100 ft. wire for it but the lady of the house says NO to that, anyway- Thanks ! I appreciate your time !
July 8, 2010 12:03:51 AM

Best answer selected by justabrake.
!