PW limit question for dell xps 400

travis myers420

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hi iv recently made a few threads about how I need a new graphics card. I bought the hd 5770 recently and it runs great. My question is, I added an addition 160gb sata hard drive yesterday and im a little worried that its to much for the power supply now. Its only a 375w psu which I assume is already borderline dangerous with the 5770. I dont know the calculations to what I was previously running but is the 12w that the hard drive needs going to be anymore dangerous with this?

And to be honest I plan on upgrading my psu offtly soon im selling my dirtbike to pay for a new motherboard/cpu/case combo for 150$ and I might as well grab the psu while im at it.

Look at the specs on the power supply. What is the combined 12 volts power rating?

I have a 5770 in my i5 750 SFF system running on a 300 watt power supply. Lucky to see the system get much past 150watts from the wall unless I compress video and play games at the same time. Then again the i5 750 is not a power hog and undervolts well, plus a miniitx board is very power efficient.

travis myers420

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Ya im running a pentium d.....
two pentium 4's stack on eachother. im sweatin bullets right now. Its only gonna be about a month till I get money. I think 12v is manageable tho... im only playing wow too so my gfx shouldnt be pushin to hard