combining "document and settings"

How can I combine or do away all the extra setting under "documents
and settings"

I have settings for:
Administrator
All Users
Default User
Owner (the one set up originally"

I want to combine all these settings. Having duplicate entries on a
single user machine is really redundant. XP really needs to have a
setting to be able to be configured for a single user.

Thanks in advance.

manicd wrote:
> How can I combine or do away all the extra setting under "documents
> and settings"
>
> I have settings for:
> Administrator
> All Users
> Default User
> Owner (the one set up originally"
>
> I want to combine all these settings. Having duplicate entries on a
> single user machine is really redundant. XP really needs to have a
> setting to be able to be configured for a single user.

Those are not duplicates.

All Users is used by All Users..
Default User is used whenever a new account is created.
Administrator is likely the original administrator and Owner is likely the
one you use daily.

Is this Windows XP Home edition?

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
fundamentals don't change.

Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
Windows.

One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
"LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
normally unused by the standard user.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Yes, Home edition. There is really only one user on this machine. It
would be nice to configure my machine to recognize one and only one
user and not all the other info.

manicd wrote:
> Yes, Home edition. There is really only one user on this machine. It
> would be nice to configure my machine to recognize one and only one
> user and not all the other info.

Cannot be done. And those other "users" are not being actively accessed in
most cases and cause no problems and may become necessary if other things go
wrong or things change and the computer is no longer a single-user system.

If you had the ability to see all files and folders, you would see even more
users. Windows XP is a multi-user operating system, as was all of its
actual predecessors.. (Win9x died with Windows ME, Windows XP is a child of
the NT line of Operating Systems.)

I would not concern yourself with these "additional users" - as you are not
using any of them actively other than possibly "All Users".

If you were to delete them, they would recreate themselves dependent on what
you were doing/accessing/installing.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
them lightly.

TRENDING THREADS