Sign in with
Your question

Need suggestions for a good, cheap HDD? Do I need a SATA 3 HDD?

Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2012 7:43:48 AM

I have an old Seagate 250 GB (dnt knw the model... but it is a 7200 RPM)... I am thinking of upgrading

I want suggestions for a HDD which I will use along with a Ocz Agility 3 60 GB SSD.

The SSD will have both my OS.

I am looking for anything between 500 GB to 1 TB. But it should be a bit cheap... (Budget constraints :(  )

Do I need a SATA 3 HDD?
a c 101 G Storage
October 30, 2012 7:53:56 AM

SATA III on a HDD is fairly useless, current HDD's aren't even close to saturating SATAII (with the possible exception of the 10,000RPM raptor drives).
Its a good feature to have, but not necessary.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB is a cheap drive that is fairly good. Make sure to get the newer 64MB cache version.
December 8, 2012 1:56:28 PM

I haven't found many charts yet on google, but i saw one on this website that cited the average READ throughput for WD 10000 rpm raptor as ~160 MB/s read speeds, which is well under SATA 2 max MB/s throughput, which allows up to 300 MB/s

Even the MAX read throughput on the raptor (which is basically the fastest there is) was only around 200 MB/s.

As I see it you might as well leave any other SATA 3 ports open for SSD only use.

EDIT: Here is the link to the benchmarks on this website, so you don't have to take my word for it: HDD Benchmarks
Related resources
December 10, 2012 8:07:05 AM

palang81984 said:
I haven't found many charts yet on google, but i saw one on this website that cited the average READ throughput for WD 10000 rpm raptor as ~160 MB/s read speeds, which is well under SATA 2 max MB/s throughput, which allows up to 300 MB/s

Even the MAX read throughput on the raptor (which is basically the fastest there is) was only around 200 MB/s.

As I see it you might as well leave any other SATA 3 ports open for SSD only use.

EDIT: Here is the link to the benchmarks on this website, so you don't have to take my word for it: HDD Benchmarks

thanks... appreciated
December 10, 2012 1:03:47 PM

newegg had some black friday specials...i got a hitachi 1Tb and a Seagate 2Tb for $60 each...keep an eye on that site for specials.
!