Compare the performance of Intel Atom and Intel P4

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
It actually has been reviewed here at Tom's. But as a first hand user, I think it performs similarly at medium load. At high load, the core speed becomes the decisive factor. If you're referring to above 2GHz P4, the difference is clear. Unless you're referring to the dual-core Atom, that's just about it.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

What about if it's compared clock to clock, both at 1.6GHz? I already said that the Atom would be inferior if compared to above 2GHz P4. You're merely repeating my statement. :heink:

4745454b

Titan
I couldn't understand your statement.

I don't remember the article that well, but I think the P4 needs to be closer to 2.4 to pull ahead of the atom. Most of the P4s between 2.8GHz and 3.4GHz (higher clocked northwoods and prescotts) will be faster in most tasks then the single core Atoms. C4C the Atoms are faster, but the clocks are to low. Its not until you get to the dual core atoms and modern day programs that take advantage of multi cores that the Atom can shine.

In a mobile unit I'd look for an atom. Even if it is slower its not by much, and you gain a lot in battery life and lower heat.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

The article compares the D510 (dual-core Atom) with 3.0/3.2GHz P4 (I forgot which one :sweat: ). Basically, it concludes that the Atom is faster for multi threading, yet slower for highly demanding single threaded programs. Which is pretty much the same with your opinion.

Was my explanation that vague? I was trying to say that I've had experience using the two platform, the single core Pine Trail and a 2.8GHz P4. In real time usage, both performs the same under low to medium load, At high load, however, that's where the P4 takes the lead. It doesn't stutter like the Atom.

Hope that's clear enough. :)