Sign in with
Your question

New build - recommendations?

Last response: in Components
October 14, 2010 5:02:10 AM

I'm thinking of buying this:

Asus P6X58D-E
i7 950 3.06ghz
12gb of corsair xms3 cl9 9-9-9-24 ram (6 x 2)
corsair force 120 SSD
asus geforce 470

Thoughts? Anything I should change?

More about : build recommendations

October 14, 2010 5:30:23 AM

only mother board . I recomend , "rampage extreme" for best performance
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 14, 2010 6:15:37 AM

I'll say RAM.. Its never advisable to load all the memory banks right from the word go.. So its better to go for a 3 x 4GB setup.. Also make sure you are using a good PSU..
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2010 2:55:47 PM

Stick with the chosen motherboard.

What is this PC to be used for? 12GB of RAM is overkill for most things.
m
l
October 14, 2010 7:09:54 PM

The pc will primarily be used as a gaming machine, but I also do some video editing for work as well (I have a NAS for the video editing stuff, SSD just for OS). The reason I wanted to get the 12 gig ram kit right of the start is last time I bought 4 gigs and when I was ready to upgrade to 8 I wasn't able to find the exact same ram as I was using. I wanted everything to be matched perfectly.

My PSU is good, but right now I'll be going single card. When i get my second 470 I'll upgrade the PSU at the same time.

For SSD I was talking about this one (for the faster write time):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think I may get the EVGA Superclocked edition of the 470. Reading reviews and benchmarks it seems to run cooler, I'm not overly concerned about the 0.25 FPS increase from the superclocked but seems like better cooling maybe?

Thanks guys!
m
l
October 14, 2010 7:24:23 PM

drswaity said:
The pc will primarily be used as a gaming machine, but I also do some video editing for work as well (I have a NAS for the video editing stuff, SSD just for OS).

I was going to ask about your storage solution for the rest of your data but you got that covered too ;) 
m
l
!