Thanks for the help! Here's a video of my new build.

ruleof72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
First off, I want to thank everyone here for helping me select the components for my new desktop build. This place is a great resource and I learned a lot just by lurking as well as posting a few questions.

I got all the pieces/parts last week and spent the weekend building it. I documented the build and posted the videos to my blog and YouTube account. The response from my subscribers was very positive so I thought I'd share the link to the post. here it is:

http://www.bikebeerbbq.com/i-built-my-own-computer-and-saved-hundreds-of-dollars/

Thanks again for the help! I'm really enjoying the new computer.

Cheers!

ruleof72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks! It was very easy to do and I would encourage anybody who is thinking about it to definitely build their own. With a little research, you can get a much better system for a lot less. The computer works great and all I need to do now is learn a bit more about how to tweak Windows 7.

CPDawg

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Nice job!

I agree, I had never built one before either before about a week or so ago, and it was painless. There was a ton of info online. It's not as hard as it sounds.

josh2010

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks for the vids, this eases some of the anxiety of building my first PC. Hardest part seems to link all the wires together. Did the connection wires come with the individual parts or did you have to purchase them? Did the compound on the processor fan come on it or did you buy compound and apply it?

ruleof72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

It was actually pretty easy, there were just a lot of wires that had to be sorted out. The wires came with the components and the locations for them were marked on the motherboard (and in the manual that came with it). The compound for the fan was already on the fan/heatsink which made it easy.

josh2010

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

I tried to mimick your build as its basically the pricepoint I want to stay at, can you comment on it?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292149-31-compatability-choice-build-nature#t2162515