Strange Mouse Behavior

MouseyOne

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hello,

A few days ago my mouse stopped working. It is a Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. I used System Restore to go back to the last restore point, and my mouse worked again. Now, however, it only works when plugged into the front of the PC into a specific USB port. When it is plugged into this port, the driver shows up under "Mice and other pointing devices" as "Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (Intellipoint)". When I plug it into another port, the driver shows up as "Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0" under "Other Devices" and has a question mark on it and doesn't work. How do I fix it so that the correct driver loads and the mouse works regardless of which USB port I use?

Thanks,

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. Right click and select update driver select "browse my computer for driver software" followed by "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and then under "mice and other pointing devices" instead of selecting "USB Browser mouse" (which it is) select "HID-Compliant mouse". the mouse should work in any port now.

MouseyOne

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
mibix19... Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Here'w what I did: With mouse working, I updated to the driver you recommended. Then, I plugged into another port and it didn't work. Using "Mouse Keys" I tried to update the "Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0" under "Other Devices" but the driver you mentioned was not in the list.

MouseyOne

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
OK, got it working... Updated it to "Microsoft Hardware USB Wireless Mouse" under "Human Interface Devices" and now it works, BUT, have to do this on every single USB port individually. Do you have any idea what is going on here?

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. In device manager are there any exclamation marks in the USB controller device list? It sounds as though one of the controller devices may need updating or is corrupt. ( You can uninstall them all in device manager and reboot. The drivers will be loaded as they are needed when it says New Hardware Found. This is a bit of a drastic measure to be taking at the moment though.) Try first to update the drivers in the list