Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Dell Inspiron
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2012 3:12:36 PM

I removed the hard drive from my dell XPS and installed in my dell Inspiron 620 as the second drive. The bios sees the drive and I can see my files once I'm booted up. The poblem is, I now want to boot to that drive and I'm not able to. I've changed the boot order to no avail. I disabled the other drive and it still doesn't want to boot to that drive. Both are ATA drives, one a seagate and the 2nd drive is a Hitachi. Anyone?

More about : booting drive

October 30, 2012 3:23:14 PM

yanksguy said:
I removed the hard drive from my dell XPS and installed in my dell Inspiron 620 as the second drive. The bios sees the drive and I can see my files once I'm booted up. The poblem is, I now want to boot to that drive and I'm not able to. I've changed the boot order to no avail. I disabled the other drive and it still doesn't want to boot to that drive. Both are ATA drives, one a seagate and the 2nd drive is a Hitachi. Anyone?

BTW...both drives are running windows 7.
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
October 30, 2012 3:53:03 PM

The drivers installed in windows no longer pertain to the new motherboard. It will fail. A repair install may fix it, otherwise you need to do a clean install of the OS.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 4:01:15 PM

If I do a clean install, will I have to reinstall all my programs?
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
October 30, 2012 4:03:28 PM

^ Yes.

Moving a boot drive to a different motherboard is always hit or miss... usually miss, which is why a clean install is recommended when changing motherboards.
m
l
!