Problem with MSI 870A-G54

NadTheBat

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
So, when I turn on the computer that has this motherboard, all of the fans turn on, the HDD starts spinning, but after that nothing happens. No beep code, no error on screen, nothing.

More info:

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54

RAM: G. Skill 2x4GB DDR3, speed is it 1333, voltage is 1.5v

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8Ghz

davidmintz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Try to ignore that guy's gratuitous snarkiness. It can happen. I was struggling with a defective low-end MSI board a couple months ago, and in the process of installing and removing and re-installing the CPU I managed to mangle some pins as well, and it is a horrible experience.

There may be some relief available. If you bought the component with a credit card that provides something called purchase protection or similar, you can apply to them for reimbursement. Just tell them the truth -- you accidentally damaged the thing beyond repair. They will make you jump through a zillion hoops, filling out forms and submitting photographs and repair estimates and on and on, in an effort to discourage you into giving up. But if you comply with their every demand, they'll reimburse you.

NadTheBat

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Went to MicroCenter today, told them that it was defective, they said alright and didn't even bother checking the CPU. They exchanged it, I took it home, installed it, and it worked flawlessly! Even managed to OC it to 3.5Ghz on the stock cooler and I didn't even have to adjust the voltage! (But I did, obviously, to avoid stability issues.)