Is the AMD Phenom II 940 Black addition 64 bit?

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I thought this processor had the x64 extensions. But when I tried to upgrade from XP pro 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit it said 64 bit is not compatible with my system. You must do a clean install when upgrading XP to 7 so that shouldn't be an issue. I very much want to run 64 bit since it has obvious advantages.

loneninja

Distinguished
Every AMD processor since the Athlon 64 released in 03 has been 64bit capable excluding a few Semprons, so yes Phenom II is 64bit.

What are the rest of your systems components? There might be a compatibility problem with something else.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

How would I upgrade to 64 bit? I thought these discs were just an upgrade not the full deal. I can't drop in the dvd and reboot because dvd doesn't work that way. I'd like to have 64bit but it looks like to do that I would have to buy the whole kabang. I did the upgrade because I bought the family pack with 3 licenses for $149 It would cost double if I bought them separately. I think I might try dropping in the 64bit now that I'm windows 7 and see if it offers to let me do it. I haven't put to much data back yet to worry about data.

The family pack is upgrade only. The performance differences between 64 and 32 OSes as of current are minor if at all. The only limitation is that you will be limited to a bit under 4GB of memory.

And I just told you. You cannot "upgrade" to 64-bit from 32-bit. You would have to either upgrade to the 32-bit version or purchase a windows 7 non-upgrade pack.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I understood what you said sir. You said "The compatibility problem is that you cannot upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. You need to do a clean install. " My next question was can I upgrade to 64bit doing a clean install with an upgrade disc. I guess you can't. Boy people are awful sensitive on these forums lately. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Sensitive? I'm not trying to sound mean or anything. I just got confused because you used the term "upgrade" again in a different meaning. Chill dude. I'm not offended at all.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

It's all good. I think I'll just leave things as they are. It's not that important right now I don't have more than 4 gigs of memory.

randomizer

Champion
Just to clarify, providing you have both a 32-bit and 64-bit disk:

1. You CAN'T do an in-place upgrade between 32-bit and 64-bit editions. It is physically possible for an OS with a little voodoo but MS have chosen not to go down that route, probably to prevent a 400% increase in tech support calls when things inevitably go horribly wrong for many people.
2. You CAN do a clean install upgrade. Windows will look for an existing activated installation during setup.