Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Rig Max Settings

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2010 6:23:20 AM

Hi I've been trying to make a good gaming pc for playing Crysis, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Metro 2033 (Optimum Requirements), Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead and any future DirectX 11 games on all max settings with no lag.

This is my dream build configuration
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-975 (Overclock 4.4GHz with using Corsair H50)
  • MEMORY RAM: 12GB DDR3 (2GBx6) DDR3 1600 MHz Triple Channel Memory
  • MOTHERBOARD: Evga x58 Classified (3-Way SLI Support)
  • HDD: 1.5TB SATA-II 3.5" 32MB 7200 RPM
  • CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932
  • MONITOR: 1920 x 1080 120hz 2ms response time with Nvidia 3D vision
  • GRAPHIC CARD: Evga Geforce GTX 480 3-Way Sli
  • PSU: 1200 watt

Is my build too overkill and outdated? I also live in Canada Thanks.

Best solution

August 7, 2010 7:01:15 AM

There are no games that use more than 4GB RAM, so your RAM is massive overkill.
    Your CPU is completely unnecessary for gaming.
    GTX 480 triple SLI is a waste of money.

I realize that sounds somewhat cranky. Sorry about that, but it's just the bald truth.

I'm fine with building a rig to last for about 2-3 years with no upgrades, but this goes beyond what that build would be and is just throwing money away.

If you spend $4000 today here's how it will work:
    1. You won't visibly see any difference in games compared to a rig that cost half as much. You will see benchmark differences, but no actual differences.
    2. In two years time a new $2000 rig will blow it out of the water.

So instead you should spend 2K today and 2K in 2-3 years.

GTX 480 prices are slashed right now because there are new Nvidia cards just around the corner, and they should be far better than these.

Extreme processors are for bragging rights only. They are extremely poor value for someone who is gaming only. They can be useful for professionals doing very intensive tasks on a timeline... but those people mostly use workstation builds with a couple Xeons. The reason you see these CPUs in reviews is because they were free or offered at very reduced cost to professionals.

An i7 930 will work just fine. Loose the H5O and get either the new H7O or a good air cooler. Or spend some money AND TIME and do real water cooling.

Cut the memory to 6GB

Get an Asus board with well spaced PCI-E slots for SLI, not triple.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Wait for the new Nvidia cards and get two 475's (or whatever they will be called)

That should cover it.

August 7, 2010 8:12:34 AM

^ If OP wants a $1000 processor, the i7 980X would be a much better choice. ;) 
    Related resources
    August 7, 2010 8:19:12 AM

Just to follow up on all of the good advice from Proximon, here's a comparison of the i7-920 vs. the i7-975 (i7-930 not in the charts).

While the i7-975 performs better than the i7-920 at gaming, it doesn't perform over $700 better. Spending that much money on a processor is only useful for bragging rights...it barely affects gaming.
    August 7, 2010 8:23:06 AM

^ It also helps in getting your wife to rage at you continuously if I might add.

"What the ****!?!? You spent one thousand dollars on a CPU?"
    August 7, 2010 11:03:06 AM

I'm not going to discourage spending 4k on a pc. If I had enough money I wouldn't hesitate. It's just I would change the way you do it.

I'd make the changes reccomended by proximon. Meaning a 930 + dual whatever the improved 470/480 as they will be amazing looking at the 460 which outperforms a more expensive, hotter and less effiecient 465.

leaving you with

cpu: 930: 300
    mobo: ga x58a ud7/ud5 very good price/performance mobos IMO. 280-330
    case: whichever suits your fancy: 150-300
    psu: 850-1000w modular from corsair,silverstone: 150-200
    nvidia GPUs: 1000
    HDD: 1002faex or spinpoint f3: 80-100
    cooler: too much to chose from but the d14 will be great:90
    ram: mushkin cl6(very fast and will fit under the d14): 200

That is 2400 at the most 2500 including OS for a very very powerful system.

With the rest of the money I'd get other things instead of even more overkill GPUs or CPU. A few suggestions

2d surround with 3 24-27inch monitors(30inch is too big and expensive IMO). 900-100

Very decent sound system + sound card: 500-600

Good heatset + soundcard: 300

3d surround with 3 X 24inch 120hz + 3d vision kit: 1500 (single sreen 3d vision is also possible as you first suggested but IMO that's too much money for far too little sreen I'd rather go with 2dsurround than 1 3d screen)

And then lastly a very fast storage solution to make loading go faster: depending on the size and speed you want: 200-1000

Good keyboard/joystick/racing wheel/ mouse/ gamepad or whichever of these you would use: I'd say 100-150/50-300/100-300/50-100/60-80 respectivly

So in conclusion If you spend that much spend it on eliminating the long load times and the perfipherals rather than on system components that will never be used to their limit.
    August 7, 2010 11:29:52 AM

wait until late august. i7 950 price will drop almost 50%. Plus the 3rd gtx 480 wont give that much performance gain. So usi two gtx 480s.

August 7, 2010 4:00:18 PM

If I spend around $2500 will my rig last up to 5 years?
    August 7, 2010 4:05:54 PM

It should run for 5 years, though if you want to continue gaming at high resolutions, you would probably want to upgrade your graphics at least once in that time.
    August 7, 2010 5:25:47 PM

Is GTX 480 Superclocked SLI also overkill too? because I want to run Battlefield bad company 2, Crysis and Metro 2033 on ultra max settings 32x or higher Anti Aliasing, 16x or higher Anisotropic filtering and Max resolution with no lag.
    August 7, 2010 5:32:30 PM

well, with todays, 32x AA is not a very good number when it comes to AA cuz u cant have the highest graph card to play at that setting yet but 8x aa is good, cuz in games that look super great today so dont think sooo high when it comes to computer parts.
    Its marketing , dont let the numbers and dreams in ur head get the better of your common sense.
    Think before you invest over $2000 in a computer.
    August 7, 2010 7:56:42 PM

xshadow said:
    Is GTX 480 Superclocked SLI also overkill too? because I want to run Battlefield bad company 2, Crysis and Metro 2033 on ultra max settings 32x or higher Anti Aliasing, 16x or higher Anisotropic filtering and Max resolution with no lag.

On a system like this I wouldn't hesitate to get 2d surround. And for that dual 480 wouldn't really be overkill. To put things in perspective: I've had some lag(1-2 times during the entire game) on metro 2033 on highest settings and my system works fine till 75percent settings on GTA IV(lack of ram). And I have a 470 + 930. So I think dual 480 will handle everything on highest on 3 screens for a few years. Maybe sometimes very high instead of ultra but no game changers. So dual 480 wouldn't really be overkill for 3 screens. For 1 however I'd stick with 1. Or dual 460 if you plan on complete GPU replacement in a couple of years seeing as the 480 is far from what it could be.

so IMO: dual 460 for 1 screen and upgrades when neccesary or dual 480(preferably 475 or whatever it would be called) for 3 screens.
    August 7, 2010 8:12:11 PM

I prefer 1 screen monitor is better. Which one good monitor has 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200, 120hz, 2ms respone time and support Nvidia 3D Vision?
    August 8, 2010 12:04:49 AM

Should I get GTX 480 superclocked SLI or GTX 480 Standard SLI?
    August 8, 2010 2:13:52 AM

Can you wait a month or less? The GTX 480s are pretty darn hot running, 475s should be cooler, pull less wattage, and run quieter.
    August 9, 2010 5:01:34 PM

@CPDawg I prefer getting Nvidia DirectX 11 card because I want to try Nvidia 3D vision goggles.
    August 9, 2010 5:10:59 PM

xshadow said:
    @CPDawg I prefer getting Nvidia DirectX 11 card because I want to try Nvidia 3D vision goggles.

I saw 3d vision in a local PC shop, it's not that great nothing really pops at you, a waste of money if you ask me. and your performance drops drastically
    August 9, 2010 5:17:21 PM

this is Uber

August 9, 2010 6:03:10 PM

Mr Pizza said:
    this is Uber

The build is missing RAM (any 1333/1600 MHz CL7 RAM would be good, G.Skill Ripjaws or ECO series are usually the least expensive), and 2x 5970 is unnecessary for a single-monitor system. But other than that, the build will kill pretty much any current game.

Currently, 3D Vision is only supported on a limited number of titles. I'm sure that will grow, but something to keep in mind is that it basically reduces fps in half (50% to left eye, 50% to right eye). Personally, I'd suggest waiting a year or so in order to let 3D gaming sort itself out, but if you really want to go for it, there's nothing stopping you.
    August 9, 2010 8:56:44 PM

he's completely right you know. All 3d mark vantage scores will favor ati cards because they are simply more powerful for the price. But once you start playing games where drivers are used nvidia closes the gap. And once you start going dual tripple card setups nvidia takes the lead.

Although he makes it sound all easy to make good drivers. Which obviously can't be the case. The way I see it nvidia just puts more money in research, developement and driver design. Making them more expensive and inevitably also more feature rich with better drivers.
    August 10, 2010 9:42:25 AM

xshadow said:
    Also, this is reason that why I'm not getting Radeon 5870, 5970 or any 5000 series. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWx-AAEj64 (It's not by me.)

My friend has an HD 5450, it's running fine. My classmate's also running an HD 5770 @ 900 MHz/1300 MHz or something, and it's 100% stable and the temperatures are good as well, and no crashes yet, he's even managed to get the card working on custom Mac drivers. nVidia drivers are better most of the time compared to ATi's though it seems, especially with regard to SLI scalability.

I doubt all HD 5000 cards have this issue, a small minority would. If you're basing whether or not to buy a graphics card based on one video, let me just say, that's not a very wise decision. nVidia screwed up my GeForce 6800 drivers, but I'm not against buying an nVidia card. I've never had any complaints with my HD 4770, but that doesn't mean I'll always buy ATi.

Lol @ ridiculous nVidia fanboys posting ridiculous comments.

Quote:
    You were complaining about the 480 GTX just because its GPU gets warm while under load? wow, you must have a weak PSU and/or bad airflow in your case, either that or you're another one of those stuck up ATI fanboys who think the HD5970 is better just because it gets over 100fps in most of last gen titles

the Nvidia fermi cards were designed specifically for high tessellation performance and are better than the crappy 5000 series cards which microsutter in Metro 2033, watch vids from maxishine.

A. 'Warm' isn't the term I'd describe the GTX 480, especially in Furmark. Unless you can consider near the boiling point of water, 'warm'.
    B. Weak PSU? WTF? How does that even relate to GPU temperature?
    C. The HD 5970 is better, if it can get >100 FPS in most last gen titles when the GTX 480 can't. :pfff: 
    D. The last section is true with regards to tesselation, but a bit of microstuttering in Metro 2033 from one person doesn't mean all HD 5000 cards microstutter.

That's just one comment from the whole comments section. Go figure the incredible amount of bias running rampant underneath the video.

There's one reason for the HD 5870 instead of the GTX 480 too, GTX 480 SLI runs @ ~70 dB, (in Anandtech's system) which isn't quiet, to say the least, and the whole system took 850 W of power.
    August 10, 2010 10:32:08 AM

Driver issues occur with every company all the time. As you may now some nvidia drivers fried their cards and ati has issues aswell as you saw in the video. But issues like this are inevitable with either company.

When I say nvidia drivers are better I mean nvidia makes better use of the power in the card by making good software to control it. Ati makes more powerful cards and makes less efficient drivers. Both approaches work they're just different.

I know there are a lot of nvidia fanboys making stupid comments but there are a lot of ati fanboys aswell making similarly retarded comments.

As I said both approaches work similarly well for single cards but once you start scaling nvidia destroys ati. 470 sli performs bassically the same as 5870 CF at a lower price tag with more features. And the power consumption difference under load is around 50w. Which costs you maybe 10-20dollars more for a psu and maybe 20 for the electricity bill. Were looking a solutrion which costs 300-310*2 + 50 for the power consumption (this is taking the worst case senario it should be around 30). That's always less than 700(mostly around 650) however much you use your pc under stress. Whereas dual 5870 will always cost close to 800. Thus you pay 100 more for less features and slightly lower temps(mind you GF100 can stand way more heat than 5870 cores so actually the only issue here is your case heating up 1-2 degrees more).

Whichever way you look at the above 470sli is a better option end of discussion.

And the noise things differ greatly from site to site. I can't hear my 470 over my other pc components. And most people seem to confirm a 480 is just a tad less loud than a 5970.
    August 11, 2010 6:24:33 AM

^ I suppose I agree with you, but what do you mean by features? 3D Vision and PhysX?

I suppose we can only trust nVidia to say how long those GF100 cores last under heat though, but HD 5870 CrossFireX isn't slightly lower, it's 10°C lower under Crysis. The gap closes when you run furmark to around 3°C, but in a realistic situation, the HD 5870 CFX has better temperatures. Gaming performance wise though, I definitely have to agree with you, SLI trumps CFX.

To be honest, I'm actually quite interested to hear how loud the GTX 480 sounds like actually.

I have an HD 4770, 100% fan speed it's pretty loud (check out 3DGameMan's video review where he shows how loud the fan is at the end), how much louder is it at around 50% fan speed? (My HD 4770 never reaches 60°C 100% load F@H at that speed, what does the GTX 470 reach? I have two 2000 RPM fans, and just wondering would I notice that the GTX 470/480's noise.
    August 11, 2010 7:38:21 AM

Well my 470 idles at around 40percent. And tops out at around 60 where it is still very silent. At 70percent it's noticable and above that it's downright annoying. I have lot's of stuff to do right now so I can't tell you for sure but from what I can recall it never went over 70 at 100percent. And what kind of rpm fans my 470 has I have no clue.

I presume the reason 470s/480s are so hot while not under full loud is because the fan speed is still very low then. If that is the case we can't blame nvidia. Then it would just be another good thing about nvidia drivers.

But I never saw heat as a real issue. If you OC you better get an aftermarket cooler anyways and if not then who cares really? Stock coolers will always be adequate for stock clocks. And I suppose in this case OC capability isn't limited by heat if we believe the fact that fermi can withstand higher temps. This can also be backed up by the paragraph above in which I mention nvidia ramps up their fans later meaning they're not sacred of high temps whereas ati is. This is all speculation I'm reasonably sure I'm kind of right but then again who knows?

Also the thing many people forget is the fact that all tests were done with beta drivers. The hardware canucks review makes clear nvidia is excels at medium resolution at max settings. Which is standard for those cards. But why does this happen? I again presume this can only be because drivers were concetrated on that because it was most used. Mind you in those areas a 470 rivalled a 5870. Nvidia claimed that with new drivers performance would be like that accross the board. If we believe their claims(I don't see why not as why would a card excel at medium res and fail at high res?) we have a 470 at 300USD which uses 25w more than it's 380USD competitor. And then you get A minute power consumption difference a reasobably unimportant temp difference and far more features for a lower price. The only thing 470s/480s are horrible at is Overclocking(a 460s overclocked rivals an overclocked 470 which is very sad indeed.

Ohh and by features I mean 3D vision, physX and CUDA(primarily CUDA as the others are pretty useless)

So in the end my point is thermi isn't such a failure as everyone claimed it to be. It may not be for Hardcore overclocker or the green team. but for the casual gamer and occasional photoshopper we have a winner.

but I suppose what else can you do then insult the delayed products which come out after the company was dominated by 6 months by the competition and then the products don't turn out to be perfect??? lol

just my 2 cents
    August 11, 2010 8:37:49 AM

Well thanks for your input, I asked because I was considering something from the GTX 400 series, possibly the GTX 480 if nothing better like a GF104 chip with all cores active came along. I have ok ventilation I guess, I'm not sure what I'd rate the Raven RV01's cooling ability. I am waiting though, to see what else nVidia has to offer.
    November 4, 2010 7:27:37 PM

Best answer selected by xshadow.
    !