Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

ECS P67H2-A "Black Extreme". Are these boards any good?

Tags:
  • Elitegroup
  • Overclocking
  • ECS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 8, 2011 4:48:27 AM

Hi, can anyone please give me some advice on buying a ECS P67H2-A motherboard? And paired with a i52500k, will it overclock well, if at all?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : ecs p67h2 black extreme boards good

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 2:34:51 PM

Why ECS? There are so many other reliable brands.

I would never recommend a ECS to ANYONE.
June 9, 2011 4:17:46 AM

geekapproved said:
Why ECS? There are so many other reliable brands.

I would never recommend a ECS to ANYONE.

Cheers mate. Have since read various comments and reviews that share your thoughts. I have decided on a Gigabyte Z68 UD-7. And some Corsair Vengence 8gb ram. Do you think that sounds like a decent choice? Please let me know as this is all fairly new to me and any advice is much appreciated.
Related resources
a c 632 V Motherboard
a c 273 K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 4:34:18 AM

I used a ECS 1156 itx motherboard which seemed well designed and worked well. I would use them again. US support if needed as I recall.

That said, there are others that should be good also.
I would go with a board that has been out a bit so the bios will be more mature. Asus or Gigabyte as a rule.

Anything with a P67 chipset should be designed for overclocking. A modest OC to 4.0 should be readily possible with anything.

Why not consider a Z68 based system?
The price is similar, and you get a ssd cacheing option which might be useful.

Also, do you really need a full ATX motherboard with 7 expansion slots?
A micro-ATX motherboard with 4 slots will be cheaper.

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 6:21:51 PM

Gigabyte is a good choice.
June 10, 2011 4:22:18 AM

geofelt said:
I used a ECS 1156 itx motherboard which seemed well designed and worked well. I would use them again. US support if needed as I recall.

That said, there are others that should be good also.
I would go with a board that has been out a bit so the bios will be more mature. Asus or Gigabyte as a rule.

Anything with a P67 chipset should be designed for overclocking. A modest OC to 4.0 should be readily possible with anything.

Why not consider a Z68 based system?
The price is similar, and you get a ssd cacheing option which might be useful.

Also, do you really need a full ATX motherboard with 7 expansion slots?
A micro-ATX motherboard with 4 slots will be cheaper.

Thanks very much for your tips mate. As far as the ATX mainboard, I was planning on 2 x GTX560ti and was under the impression that having 2 x pci x16 was a better option than 2 at x8 or ....... for gaming? Is this right or not? I am probarbly wrong!
June 10, 2011 4:25:45 AM

What i think i am trying to say is a the UD-7 has 2 pci lanes at x16! And i just got a new ANTEC DF-85 case so size is not a huge issue. Sorry for my rookie blabber!
a c 632 V Motherboard
a c 273 K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 5:17:47 AM

Goatman666 said:
Thanks very much for your tips mate. As far as the ATX mainboard, I was planning on 2 x GTX560ti and was under the impression that having 2 x pci x16 was a better option than 2 at x8 or ....... for gaming? Is this right or not? I am probarbly wrong!

2 x16 is better than 2 x8.
But, you can tell the difference only with a benchmark.,
The difference in fps is not meaningful.
June 10, 2011 6:43:23 AM

geofelt said:
2 x16 is better than 2 x8.
But, you can tell the difference only with a benchmark.,
The difference in fps is not meaningful.

OK then. Cheers mate.
June 20, 2011 12:32:59 AM

Advice after dealing with their website, help, contact details, my advice is do not buy.
June 20, 2011 9:26:07 AM

hofyc said:
Advice after dealing with their website, help, contact details, my advice is do not buy.

Cheers mate, I have also noticed in various articles that their top of the range P67H2-A "Black Extreme...blah blah! has serious stability issues when overclocked to only 4.4 or so ghz. Now from what I know now, "sandy bridge chips or at least the "K" unlocked chips, can remain stable at 5ghz on most other boards. Thanks again, I STILL cant make my mind up on a Gigabyte Z68-UD7 or Asus Sabertooth. Or the reason for my indecision, I was tossing up on a MSI Z68-GD80. What is your advice?
a c 632 V Motherboard
a c 273 K Overclocking
June 20, 2011 2:19:47 PM

How high you can OC a "K" cpu is dependent on the particular sample.
There were some statistics posted elsewhere; I forgot where. It said that virtually all could get to 4.0, 50% could get to 4.5, and less than 10% could exceed 5.0.
There seems to be a upper limit for each chip which does not depend on how good your cooling is.

It seems to me that once you get to 4.0, there is not much real benefit in going higher.
For gaming, spend your cash and efforts on better graphics.

Since the Z68 chipset motherboards carry only a slight price premium over P67, I would opt for one of those.

Regardless, you will be pleased with whatever you get.
July 26, 2011 9:50:08 AM

Just my 5 cents, I bought the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD and 2600k CPU.

Great mobo and the loading times are ALOT better when using the onboard 20gb SSD for caching.

Have fun