Solved

Should one automatically buy a faster processor?

Hello,
I am thinking about the i5-520 2.40 Ghz and the i5-560 2.66 Ghz in a Lenovo 410s. I don't do any graphics, only word processing and internet. Should I spend the extra $100?
Thank you! Greg
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should automatically faster processor
  1. No. Imo, the extra $100 is not worth the 260Mhz for the i5 560.
  2. heck even a core i3 would be better if it's only word processing. Or the cheap Celeron Dual-core chips with the Wolfdale chip on it
  3. Best answer
    gjesson said:
    Hello,
    I am thinking about the i5-520 2.40 Ghz and the i5-560 2.66 Ghz in a Lenovo 410s. I don't do any graphics, only word processing and internet. Should I spend the extra $100?
    Thank you! Greg

Absolutely not. You can't tell the difference.

If you could use that $100 to get the version with a SSD, you would be amazed at the difference.
  4. ^ Good point. There is imo, a huge difference in system responsiveness between an SSD and a HDD.
  5. Save the $100 and wait for a 128GB SSD under $200 and upgrade your laptop with that. Like geofelt said, thats a worthwhile upgrade.
  6. geofelt said:
    Absolutely not. You can't tell the difference.

If you could use that $100 to get the version with a SSD, you would be amazed at the difference.

The OP could do the SSD swap him sself imo. From what I have seen, they charge at least $150-200 for a 64GB low/mid range SSD. You can get a 120GB Vertex 2 @ Newegg for $240
  7. Get the crucial SSD thats 259.99 at new egg, faster read times.
  8. You don't even need a fast processor for what you are doing.

I use my IBM ThinkPad T40 (from 2003) which has a Pentium M 1.6GHz or 1.7GHz to surf the the web, do spreadsheets and even play the occasional old game like Fallout 2, Diablo and Morrowind.
  9. Best answer selected by gjesson.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Lenovo Processors Intel i5