Long beep, Short Beep, then Long Continuous Beep

So I was helping my friend build his first computer today. We get all the parts in, and I am met by a beep code. I was kind of angry, this being my computer built out side of school. Funny thing is the beep code is found no where online.

When I run the system with just the processor I get a video error (long continuous beeps). Then I plug in the video card, run it and get a memory error (1 long beep, 1 short) over and over again. At this point i'm thinking it must be memory but I get the (1 long beep, 1 short, the a long continuous beep), which is not listed anywhere. All the parts are new so I am dumbfounded and don't know what to do next.

I reseated the processor and nothing. Tomorrow I m going to redo the thermal grease as we hd some trouble getting the heatsink one. Is it possible that I damaged the processor while putting the heat sink on?

The only other thing I can think of would be short, which I have no clue how to handle.
2 answers Last reply
More about long beep short beep long continuous beep
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Buwish
  2. Update: I reapplied the thermal grease to the processor. Now I get no beeps without the videocard in. But once I put it in I get one long beep that doesn't stop. Does this mean the video card is bad?

Update: Actually, now it only beeps when the video card is inserted. Even when the memory is out and just the processor is left in it dosen't beep!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems