Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 and AHCI

Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2012 9:33:45 PM

I just installed Windows 8 and found out my Dell M4300 has the ATA/AHCI option set to ATA, and if I try to set to AHCI, it crashes. I can't figure out what is needed to use AHCI. My sons D830 works on AHCI with no issues.

More about : windows ahci

a b * Windows 8
a c 85 G Storage
October 30, 2012 10:46:09 PM

EyesofThunder said:
I just installed Windows 8 and found out my Dell M4300 has the ATA/AHCI option set to ATA, and if I try to set to AHCI, it crashes. I can't figure out what is needed to use AHCI. My sons D830 works on AHCI with no issues.

IDE mode and AHCI mode use different drivers. When you install Windows it will load the drivers for the controller mode that it detects upon installation. If you want to change the controller mode after installation there's a registry hack which supposedly works. However, I recommend simply re-installing the operating system
October 30, 2012 11:40:41 PM

I tried the hack, no worky, I hate to reinstall, but might end up having to.

Seems it shouldn't be hard to just install the other driver and reboot.
a b * Windows 8
a c 85 G Storage
October 30, 2012 11:48:13 PM

EyesofThunder said:
I tried the hack, no worky, I hate to reinstall, but might end up having to.

Seems it shouldn't be hard to just install the other driver and reboot.

The drivers are already installed, Windows just needs to know which one to load. Supposedly that's what the hack does. I've never had the need to try it, and I'm not sure if it works with Windows 8. Reinstalling is probably the best bet. Good luck
!