Anyone used USB-IDE cables?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 27, 2004 10:37:37 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi

Just wondered how successful it is using a USB-to-IDE/ATAPI interface
cable with a DVD burner or 3.5" HDD via the USB on a laptop?

Cheers for any feedback

MG
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

More about : usb ide cables

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 27, 2004 10:37:38 PM

MG wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just wondered how successful it is using a USB-to-IDE/ATAPI interface
> cable with a DVD burner or 3.5" HDD via the USB on a laptop?
>
> Cheers for any feedback
>
> MG
> **REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

The easiest is to purchase an enclosure for a particular device with the
appropriate interface, USB2 or Firewire. Enclosures with the power
supply and interfaces are inexpensive. This is a common method for
upgrading optical drives and hard drive capacity for laptops. The power
supply is critical since USB/Firewire power are insufficient for optical
drives and most hard drives.

November 27, 2004 10:37:39 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:1tWdndpluspBYTXcRVn-
vg@comcast.com:

> MG wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Just wondered how successful it is using a USB-to-IDE/ATAPI interface
>> cable with a DVD burner or 3.5" HDD via the USB on a laptop?
>>
> The easiest is to purchase an enclosure for a particular device with the
> appropriate interface, USB2 or Firewire. Enclosures with the power
> supply and interfaces are inexpensive. This is a common method for
> upgrading optical drives and hard drive capacity for laptops. The power
> supply is critical since USB/Firewire power are insufficient for optical
> drives and most hard drives

I agree with the above, about an external box with power supply. I have
both a self contained 160 Gb USB2 HD which works fine, and a generic
external IDE box that has at times contained HD's from my older computers
(till I got the 160Gb drive), a CD/RW internal drive and a 4x DVD +/- RW
internal drive. I have used the DVD burner to make video DVD's from my
daughter's DV camera and several data DVDs.

I also have two of the 2.5" external drive boxes that I use with my older
drives as I upgrade my laptop. They came with the extra USB to power plug
cable so that I can use the newer, larger 2.5" drives that draw more than
0.5 amps, the spec limit on USB ports. These work fine as well.

Lee
Related resources
November 29, 2004 10:33:16 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:47:51 -0600, lee <lleeast@netscape.com> wrote:

>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:1tWdndpluspBYTXcRVn-
>vg@comcast.com:
>
>> MG wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Just wondered how successful it is using a USB-to-IDE/ATAPI interface
>>> cable with a DVD burner or 3.5" HDD via the USB on a laptop?
>>>
>> The easiest is to purchase an enclosure for a particular device with the
>> appropriate interface, USB2 or Firewire. Enclosures with the power
>> supply and interfaces are inexpensive. This is a common method for
>> upgrading optical drives and hard drive capacity for laptops. The power
>> supply is critical since USB/Firewire power are insufficient for optical
>> drives and most hard drives
>
>I agree with the above, about an external box with power supply. I have
>both a self contained 160 Gb USB2 HD which works fine, and a generic
>external IDE box that has at times contained HD's from my older computers
>(till I got the 160Gb drive), a CD/RW internal drive and a 4x DVD +/- RW
>internal drive. I have used the DVD burner to make video DVD's from my
>daughter's DV camera and several data DVDs.
>
>I also have two of the 2.5" external drive boxes that I use with my older
>drives as I upgrade my laptop. They came with the extra USB to power plug
>cable so that I can use the newer, larger 2.5" drives that draw more than
>0.5 amps, the spec limit on USB ports. These work fine as well.
>
>Lee

Thanks,

The USB/ATAPI/IDE cable I was looking at *HAS* an additional AC power
supply. I am looking at a delivered price of just under £25.00...

So its thumbs up then??

Oh and f it works, I'll get a 3.5"-2.5" HDD adapter to give max
flexibility...?

Cheers
MG
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
November 30, 2004 12:50:43 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG) wrote in news:41b22947.708725253
@news.freeuk.net:

> Thanks,
>
> The USB/ATAPI/IDE cable I was looking at *HAS* an additional AC power
> supply. I am looking at a delivered price of just under £25.00...
>
> So its thumbs up then??
>
> Oh and f it works, I'll get a 3.5"-2.5" HDD adapter to give max
> flexibility...?
>
> Cheers
> MG

I'd say go for it. I used the adapter until I got my 2.5" USB 2.0 boxes. It
worked quite well.

Lee
!