how to delete the extra taskbar seperators

Hi,
I am using XP and having a trouble in using its taskbar: if I right
click on it and select "Property" I can see these 2 are checked:
1) show quick launtch
2) keep task bar on top of other windows

the problem is on the task bar there are 4 seperators, and thus the
bar is divided into some small panes, and the strange thing is the
program icon shows on 2 panes at the same time. And because of the
limited size of the pane, once I open over 3 programs they shrink into
one icon with the up and down arrow besides.

Do you know how to delete the extra seperators?

Thanks.

linq936@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using XP and having a trouble in using its taskbar: if I right
> click on it and select "Property" I can see these 2 are checked:
> 1) show quick launtch
> 2) keep task bar on top of other windows
>
> the problem is on the task bar there are 4 seperators, and thus the
> bar is divided into some small panes, and the strange thing is the
> program icon shows on 2 panes at the same time. And because of the
> limited size of the pane, once I open over 3 programs they shrink into
> one icon with the up and down arrow besides.
>
> Do you know how to delete the extra seperators?
>
> Thanks.

1) Right-click on an empty area of the Toolbar.
2) Choose "Customise" from popup menu.
3) Find the the instances of multiple separators under "Current Toolbar
buttons".
4) Select them one at a time and Click on the "Remove" button for each one.
5) When all separators you want removed have been removed, click on "Close"
button.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,

linq936@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using XP and having a trouble in using its taskbar: if I right
> click on it and select "Property" I can see these 2 are checked:
> 1) show quick launtch
> 2) keep task bar on top of other windows
>
> the problem is on the task bar there are 4 seperators, and thus the
> bar is divided into some small panes, and the strange thing is the
> program icon shows on 2 panes at the same time. And because of the
> limited size of the pane, once I open over 3 programs they shrink into
> one icon with the up and down arrow besides.
>
> Do you know how to delete the extra seperators?
>
> Thanks.

Ignore my previous post. I gave instructions for removing extra separators
from the Toolbar in Outlook Express instead of the Taskbar.

From what you have posted, your problem is not extra separators (really
"grabbers") on the Taskbar, but a "feature" of the Taskbar. Right-click on
the Start button, and choose "Properties", then click on the "Taskbar" tab,
and uncheck "Group similar taskbar buttons" and click on "Ok".