Pictures on CD at photo lab, info needed

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 26, 2004 7:42:11 PM

When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
for a little extra cost.

What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?

thanks
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:00:07 PM

The image files are in the neighbourhood of 4.5 meg each. You have several
choices of image size and resolution when you decide to view/edit these
files.

<dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message

> When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
> an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
> for a little extra cost.
>
> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?
>

> thanks

December 27, 2004 4:51:24 AM

<dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message

> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?

Back when I used the Kodak system, it seemed that the resolution was about
2000 dpi. That is not adequate for my purposes.
Jim
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:59:13 AM

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
> <dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
>> an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
>> for a little extra cost.
>>
>> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
>> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
>> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?
>>

>> thanks
>>
> The image files are in the neighbourhood of 4.5 meg each. You have several
> choices of image size and resolution when you decide to view/edit these
> files.

That's with the actual Kodak Photo CD, but many places are offering
something different, scanning your photos into .jpegs, with variations in
quality.
Compared to many of those places, you might be better off with a film
scanner.
I would suggest you ask around first to be certain.

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:49:10 PM

I had very poor results from a local Wolf. They had their own scanner,
can't remember which but it was nowhere near the quality of the Nikon
Coolscan I ended up getting for myself.
December 27, 2004 6:36:59 PM

I wish 4.5Mb each were the case. Just went thru a real hassle with Fugi
(Albany, NY) about two months back when the average file size was 250K.
Long story short - they set their machine wrong (so they say) and for a
whole week, anyone getting CD's only got low-res pics. After getting things
straightened away, they sent me new CD's with their so called hi-res files
of about 1Mb. Not very good at all and I had dust spots on a lot of the
digital files from when they scanned the negatives.

Poor service, poor quality control and they will not get any repeat business
from me.

Bob S.

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
> The image files are in the neighbourhood of 4.5 meg each. You have several
> choices of image size and resolution when you decide to view/edit these
> files.
>
> <dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
> > an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
> > for a little extra cost.
> >
> > What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
> > What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
> > higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?
> >

> > thanks

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:44:41 PM

Greetings Dude,

KODAK Picture CD is the format you are referring to for Kodak labs. The
resolution of the scanned image is 1536 x 1024. Whether or not this is
going to better than a scanned image at home depends on what scanner you
might have but in general it is comparable or better. The format offered by
Kodak is in JPG format - the most common today.

For details on Picture CD, try visiting the Kodak site at:

http://www.kodak.com/go/picturecd

Best regards, let me know if you have other questions, I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message

> When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
> an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
> for a little extra cost.
>
> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?
>

> thanks

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:50:14 PM

dude17@sacbeemail.com wrote:

> When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
> an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
> for a little extra cost.

You get what you pay for! The scan quality of most consumer labs is poxy
- suitable only for snap and point photography. It may be good enough
for your needs but only you can make that decision.

OTOH the original Kodak PhotoCD was truly excellent with 6Mpixel images
by default and way ahead of its time but almost unavailable these days.

> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?

1536x1024 with slightly heavy handed JPEG compression :(

It would be hard to find a dedicated slide/negative scanner that was as
low resolution as the default Kodak PictureCD. And even some of the best
flat bed A4 scanners should come close to beating it optically.

A 2Mpixel digican will trounce it for quality.

Some of the better independent processing labs offer a much higher
quality scan service as an option but at somewhat higher prices.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:12:03 PM

> <dude17@sacbeemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> When you drop off a 35mm film for development, most places offers you
>> an option of putting all the pics from film onto a CD in digital format
>> for a little extra cost.
>>
>> What optical resolution is used for Fuji and Kodak system?
>> What is the image format and the image size and does this yield a
>> higher quality scan than using a film scanner at home?

Additionally, for about $8 in my area:

Noritsu QSS scans are up to 3200x2400.

Agfa d-Lab scans are up to 3000x2000.

Fuji Frontier scans are usually 1800x1200 but could be bigger
if the lab operator agrees.
January 5, 2005 1:18:18 PM

Didn't they have (or maybe still offer) a "pro" Picture CD that
features a 4-pack of scans, each at a different resolution?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:28:54 PM

Dave wrote:

> Didn't they have (or maybe still offer) a "pro" Picture CD that
> features a 4-pack of scans, each at a different resolution?

No. That was the original and excellent Photo CD professional scan option.

Nothing to do with Picture CD except sharing the same acronym :(

Regards,
Martin Brown
!