Sign in with
Your question

Gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2010 12:35:34 PM

EDIT: Read my post below for my latest gaming rig consideration.

Hey tweakers, and thanks for reading this thread;

I'm considering building a new PC, with mostly gaming in mind. I'm basically looking for a future-proof gaming system that is somehow sort of affordable ( :p  ), and this is what I've come up with so far, on this website, Alternate.nl/alternate.de;

-AMD X6 1055T, 2.8ghz. --> Been considering the X4 aswell, but heard good stories about the X6, and the price isn't THAT high at this moment.
-Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X, ATX, 2x PCIe x16 v2.0, AM3 --> Always liked Asus, looks like a solid board to me.
-Asus EAH5850/2DIS/1GD5 --> Sounds like the best bang for my money, I'm considering putting another one in somewhere by the end of this year/start next year in Xfire.
-4 GB memory, Corsair DDR3 - 1600 kit.
-Samsung HD103SJ --> Looks like one of the faster Samsungs, easy choice tbh
-Cooler Master CM690
-Zalman ZM750-HP, 750W --> Basically I know jack sheit about the Power-supply, chose this one because of the good rep of the brand itself(suggestions are welcome)
-Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 --> Was wondering if this one was actually better than the Boxed version, if not, would you recommend a third-party CPU cooler, and if so, which one?
-Some random DVD player, an additional case fan from CM, Windows 64bit Premium, assembling

The price I'm paying for this system is around 1100 euro's(Keep in mind, while this may seem like a lot for USA residents, we don't have heavenly sites like newegg's).

The things I'm still wondering about are;
A) The CPU choice, the X6 looks like a good future-investment, but it might be wasted money
B) The GPU choice, I've thought about SLI'ing GTX460's(which would increase the price of my system a lot), getting two 5770's, getting two 5830's and so on, but in the end I think the 5850 with a price tag of about 270 euro's might be my best bet, right? Also keeping in mind that I'm probaply adding another one in in future.

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to your suggestions and idea's.

More about : gaming rig

August 7, 2010 3:54:03 PM

Thanks for the reply Mosox!

Is the Sapphire really worth the extra expense?(+- 20 EUR) I see it has higher clocked memory but still. I could also get a club3d 5850 at +-250 EUR looking closer at it.

Also I made a smallish mistake, I took a non-crossfire mobo. Now I'm wondering, which chipset should I take?

Basically I think I have a choice between this one;
A) Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 , 880G http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Moederborden_Socke...
or this one;
B) Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 890 FX
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Moederborden_Socke...

Would there be a big difference feature/performance wise? The price difference is about 50 EUR.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2010 4:18:06 PM

Yep, it's also Vapor-X (better cooling, silent) and it's...Sapphire. Don't buy Club anyway, not a very good brand.

Your original mobo Asus M4A79XTD EVO is good for crossfire. If you want USB3 get the Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3, the other one isn't good for CF. The first one is good, second one high-endish. You can get Gigabyte too, they make good boards.

August 8, 2010 2:11:24 PM

Allright, after reading a couple'o 30+ benchmarks on GPU's and CPU's, I'm probaply going another route, most namely the i5-750 route. Will include the form too;

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month/next month
BUDGET RANGE: 900-1050
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: No monitor yet, no keyboard/mouse, no boxes
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: alternate.nl
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.
PARTS PREFERENCES: Any
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe some slight overclocking
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Aiming for future SLI
WATERCOOLING: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 atm, but going for 22/24 inch later this year.

CPU:
i5-750 -- 182 EUR

Mobo:
Asus P7P55D-E PRO -- 189 EUR (mainly because of Asus' way to solve bandwith/SLI problems combined with USB3/Sata6)

GPU:
Gigabyte GTX460 1 GB -- 199 EUR

Mem:
Corsair 4GB DDR3-1333 -- 84 EUR

HD:
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB -- 64 EUR

Case/PSU/DVD-writer
Antec Three Hundred -- 50 EUR
Antec Truepower New Series TP-750 -- 115 EUR
Some random DVD-writer -- 26 EUR

----------
909 + Windows 64 bit premium makes approx 1000 EUR, with the option to upgrade to SLI in near future.

Any thoughts about this config? I saw some reviews where the GTX460 could really compete against the 5850(not beat it, but still), and everyone owning this card seems to be darng positive about it.

Another thing I'm wondering is, could I perhaps save some money on the motherboard? It ofcourse needs to have full SLI support(8x/8x), but I'm not so sure about how much USB3.0/Sata6 are worth. I'm not planning on getting a SSD anyhow(slightly longer load times don't bother me) and I'm not really a person who uses USB devices all that much.

What I do want however is a VERY stable, and slightly OC-able motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2010 3:41:53 PM

That is worse for gaming than the previous one.
August 8, 2010 10:21:57 PM

mosox said:
That is worse for gaming than the previous one.

Hmm I see, because of the GTX460 vs HD5850 right? The problem is that in the shop I want to sell the parts there 's no AMD SLI board available.

Also, I heard about the excellent SLI possibilities of a dual GTX460, and SLI being compatible to more games overall. Not sure if that is true tho.

Going to reconsider it all then!

Thanks for your help by the way :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2010 10:33:59 AM

You need AMD crossfire not AMD SLI if you get the 5850.
August 9, 2010 12:26:28 PM

Allright, the final setup then taking all of your suggestions in account;

CPU: PII X6 1055T
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B SCMG-2100
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/USB3
Mem: Corsair 4gig DDR3-1333, TW3X4G1333C9A
GPU: Sapphire 5850 TOXIC edition
Case: Antec Three Hundred
PSU: Antec TruePower New Series 750W
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
DVD burner of random brand

Should make a decent mid-range, overclockable system I'd say. Going to order it tonight :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2010 12:57:46 PM

Heh, the downside to forums and opinions on them. Me personally, I prefered the Intel build.

i5 750 is better than anything AMD can offer (hence the higher price). 5850 is a better card than the GTX460, however, the GTX460 runs ok at 1920 x 1080, Overclocked it will run as well as the 5850, but more importantly your build is clearly aimed towards getting a dual card setup. In which case, 2 x GTX 460s are fantastic, they actually beat the 5850s in XFire. Maybe XFire scaling will improve eventually, until then, 2 x GTX 460 is a smart way to go, and given the price difference of the GTX 460 cards and that SLI scaling tends to always be superior to XFire, they are a smart move.

If you do decide to go AMD though, grab a 955 because the x6 is money for nothing in terms of gaming

In case you wanted to see a review,
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/04/geforce_gtx_460_1...

Obviously this is a limited selection of only 3 games, but I am sure there are plenty of other reviews around. Just make sure if you go Intel and GTX 460 you grab the 1gb versions
August 9, 2010 3:43:58 PM

Diddo on asteldian's post. 6 core's would be way overkill for a gaming rig. 4 cores would be the most you would need as most games as of now only make use of 2 cores. And that would save a little money to help pay for the SLI or Xfire setup.
!