Internal HD for storage?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I really need to purchase some form of storage for the movies, torrents, etc I have been downloading..some suggest external HDs others suggest making my own external (enclosure/internals) and then many say just add another internal HDD. Is it as easy as they say? I mean..you slide it into an empty bay, screw it in...and then what? What is the best bang for your buck? I have no experience building comps etc..so if installing a new internal is hard then Ill just buy external.

I currently have Disk Drive: Samsung HD502HJ. SATA 3.0Gb/s. 500GB...this item is now discontinued so I dont know what I would buy? Thanks...

Side note: what is with the subscriptions on this website? I find it very difficult to find any threads i have previously posted in..or even threads I have started. There is no subscribe buttons anywhere and this makes navigation difficult.

dingo07

Distinguished
I would suggest an internal HDD, say 2TB. It's as simple as screwing it into a bay and connecting 2 cables to it, one power and one data from the motherboard.

side note: the subscribe buttons are the envelope icon and heart icon to the left of the Profile|Thread/No Thread|Message/no message box on the right

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
How do I know Ill just have power cords/data plug ins laying around in my case to plug the HDD into like in all the videos I watch?

Also...how many HD videos can a 500GB/1TB hdd hold roughly

dingo07

Distinguished
1- list the specs of your computer

your Q about how many videos... there's absolutely no way to figure that out without knowing the average size of a movie you're referring to, but I'll make it simple... 1 movie = 1GB, that means u'll have at least 450 movies on a 500GB drive

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Well Im mainly going to be getting HD movies..arent these about 4GB? I think Ill stay at 500GB unless I find a good deal on 1TB.

Disk Drive: Samsung HD502HJ. SATA 3.0
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
And not real sure about my mobo..i think its a gigabyte?
"BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0601 SMBIOS Ver: 2.6"

dingo07

Distinguished
no offense, but the power supply, which u didn't mention, is the single most important piece of equipment to know - in determining if you have the power connections for another SATA drive

"getting HD movies" - will u be ripping them from blu-ray/DVD yourself?