Internal HD for storage?

I really need to purchase some form of storage for the movies, torrents, etc I have been downloading..some suggest external HDs others suggest making my own external (enclosure/internals) and then many say just add another internal HDD. Is it as easy as they say? I mean..you slide it into an empty bay, screw it in...and then what? What is the best bang for your buck? I have no experience building comps etc..so if installing a new internal is hard then Ill just buy external.

I currently have Disk Drive: Samsung HD502HJ. SATA 3.0Gb/s. 500GB...this item is now discontinued so I dont know what I would buy? Thanks...

Side note: what is with the subscriptions on this website? I find it very difficult to find any threads i have previously posted in..or even threads I have started. There is no subscribe buttons anywhere and this makes navigation difficult.
8 answers Last reply
More about internal storage
  1. I would suggest an internal HDD, say 2TB. It's as simple as screwing it into a bay and connecting 2 cables to it, one power and one data from the motherboard.

side note: the subscribe buttons are the envelope icon and heart icon to the left of the Profile|Thread/No Thread|Message/no message box on the right
  2. How do I know Ill just have power cords/data plug ins laying around in my case to plug the HDD into like in all the videos I watch?

Also...how many HD videos can a 500GB/1TB hdd hold roughly
  3. 1- list the specs of your computer

your Q about how many videos... there's absolutely no way to figure that out without knowing the average size of a movie you're referring to, but I'll make it simple... 1 movie = 1GB, that means u'll have at least 450 movies on a 500GB drive
  4. Well Im mainly going to be getting HD movies..arent these about 4GB? I think Ill stay at 500GB unless I find a good deal on 1TB.

Disk Drive: Samsung HD502HJ. SATA 3.0
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    And not real sure about my mobo..i think its a gigabyte?
    "BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0601 SMBIOS Ver: 2.6"
  5. no offense, but the power supply, which u didn't mention, is the single most important piece of equipment to know - in determining if you have the power connections for another SATA drive

"getting HD movies" - will u be ripping them from blu-ray/DVD yourself?
  6. Sorry man Im very new to this...didnt know the power source was so important, Idk how to find it though?

Yes HD rips though
  7. Off the top of my head I believe I have a 500W power supply
  8. either way, the most u would need is a molex to SATA power adapter like this - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3780246

and another SATA 2 cable like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812117652
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Product