GPU Overheating.. return it?

I recently bought a HIS Hd 5770 gfx card. It crashed during gaming in one pci-e slot, and in the other it overheats to extremely high temps (100C+) during furmark. It idles at 42, which seems ok. On the back of the card there are strange white marks which are impossible to describe really.. they seems to make some sort of shape aroudn certain parts of the card.. I cant explain it much more..

Anyway my question is should I RMA my graphics card? I have adequate cooling... or do you think it could be the motherboard at fault? Would that cause high GPU temps?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about overheating return
  1. well could we see some temps during normal game play fur mark, is really an unrealistic example, and you could always crank up the fan alittle, if temps are still really high, then you might want to consider RMA it, but i'm honestly thinking that there might be something wrong with your mobo, it may not be delieving the right power to your card because it should really make no different which slot you put it in

anyways test out some game, mess around with the fan, and post some temps on here
  2. Thanks for the reply. Regarding the mobo slot, its odd because it crashes in one, but works fine in the other. During normal gaming it still reaches about 87C, also the fan seems to do little to reduce temps. I ahve had it on 100% without much change at all...
  3. What kind of HD5770? is it single slot card?
    Make sure you have a good airflow inside your case... :)
  4. My HD 5750 idles at around 37 *C and 60+ *C load.
  5. Im not sure if this will help but i can throw some advice into this. I have the GTX 470 and was having heat issues myself (i know the 5000 series is different but bear with me). I installed a new psu and organized the cables and for whatever reason reduced my tempatures back to normal. I was getting on the upward of 100c plus too. Im not sure why but when it doesnt have enough power it just overheats it self or crashes.
  6. yumpum said:
    Thanks for the reply. Regarding the mobo slot, its odd because it crashes in one, but works fine in the other. During normal gaming it still reaches about 87C, also the fan seems to do little to reduce temps. I ahve had it on 100% without much change at all...

i feel if your still getting in the 80's with 100% fan, and you case isn't cluttered, then that probably reason enough to get an RMA, most 5770 max in the 70's with much lower fan speeds,

you could always reapply the thermal paste, but usually you that only a way to further reduce temps, if your already far above, normal temps for that card, i would just return it
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics