Solved

Mobo cpu combo etc.

I marvel at the seemingly unlimited choices of cpu's, mobos, vid cards, etc, etc. How does one go about choosing the optimal (or at least the least haphazard) combination for a machine that will give the most satisfaction? Thanks, spooky shoes
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo combo
  1. A machine that will give the most satisfaction?

    Maybe you could elaborate just a little.
  2. Thanks for pointing out my omission. let's say I build a computer with a dollar limit of $500.00 and change. I can salvage a case but that is about all the control I have at limiting my budget. Most all of the other components are really dated and may be of questionable integrity. I would enjoy the challenge and reward of putting together a machine that I can play the Interlink Flight Simulator and Controller. http://www.realflight.com/ This is the company website. It indicates optimal requirements for performance and smooth play. I am rambling here and I apologize. If I can build this machine well and satisfactorily I would get the advantage of personal satisfaction for a project that I did myself and if I wanted to trick it up later I would know what to do to improve it in the future. Sorry, Is this clear as mud? Thanks Spooky Shoes
  3. Although there are countless options available, one gets limited by many aspects such as budget, availability and usage scenario..
  4. Budget, and what you are looking to get out of it *ie Movies, casual gaming, moderate gaming, heavy/hardcore gaming, tv, webrowsing* ect.


    If you tell us that stuff we can help you. :)


    Quote:
    Optimal System:

    For best graphical performance

    Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU

    2 GB RAM

    3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory Pixel Shader 3.0 support



    That should be easy enough for anyone here who has time, atlas I don't atm but $500 is more then enough to get everything you need even a case.
  5. Thank you all for trying to help. I have looked at Fry's electronics and considered the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and also the AMD Phenom ll 555 cpu. I am unsure of what to choose for video and memory and overall cooling. I was looking at a 500 watt psu. Any ideas? Spooky Shoes
  6. spooky shoes said:
    Thank you all for trying to help. I have looked at Fry's electronics and considered the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and also the AMD Phenom ll 555 cpu. I am unsure of what to choose for video and memory and overall cooling. I was looking at a 500 watt psu. Any ideas? Spooky Shoes



    If you live in the US newegg.com is much better then frys for prices and what they have.


    Just for the the lolz link me the PSU you where looking at so I can tell you why you should not buy it.
  7. Randomacts, this is the link to the psu. http://www.directron.com/rs500pcara3.html
  8. spooky shoes said:
    Randomacts, this is the link to the psu. http://www.directron.com/rs500pcara3.html


    Oh its a lower end coolmaster...


    1 step above junk..

    But it still sucks...

    Haha..


    You will prob end up a seasonic, cosair or an xfx

    but for your price range you will prob end up getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074&Tpk=seasonic


    I don't have time to help you atm but I am sure someone will. Or you can just make a post in the new builds section and they will help you.
  9. I have a question for you people that are in the know about building and upgrading systems. I put together a list of components that I thought would make an ok gaming system but I'd like input about this setup both good and bad and suggestions for improvement. I upped my budget from $ 500.00 as I originally set. I listened to some of the comments and changed my psu. Anyway here is my list:


    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    PowerColor AX5750 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5750 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Item #: N82E16820231277

    Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530


    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

    ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131623

    Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7,..

    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    .SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

    Total $795.00
  10. spooky shoes said:
    I have a question for you people that are in the know about building and upgrading systems. I put together a list of components that I thought would make an ok gaming system but I'd like input about this setup both good and bad and suggestions for improvement. I upped my budget from $ 500.00 as I originally set. I listened to some of the comments and changed my psu. Anyway here is my list:


    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    PowerColor AX5750 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5750 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Item #: N82E16820231277

    Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530


    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

    ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131623

    Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7,..

    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    .SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

    Total $795.00



    Drop the Rosewill PSU I would not trust Rosewill with anything that moves.. :)

    Just rechecked the prices, for the same price as the 430w you can get the 520 unit from Seasonic
    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    With that you will be able to power the machine with power to spare.


    AND Its cheaper then the crappy Rosewill you picked.

    I'm now am going to go through the rest of the stuff you picked and get rid of your bad eggs that are harder to spot. *The rosewill was just a dead giveaway =p*
  11. Thanks for the reply. I will check out that Seasonic. Spooky Shoes
  12. spooky shoes said:

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Ok

    PowerColor AX5750 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5750 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Ok as long as you where not planning on running 3 monitors

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ok
    Item #: N82E16820231277

    Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530 Ok


    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM Good *No reason to spend $200 on a OS when you can get it for $90*

    ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Bad more bad reviews that should be on a product.
    Item #: N82E16813131623 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425

    Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7,.. Bad, the one I linked you will work

    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Ok, but you might need to buy fans, I'm not sure if it comes with some


    Total $795.00



    Get a second opinon on the case, and motherboard before you buy.. Everything else should work.


    Also if you where planning on having a 3 spread monitors it will not work with that graphics card.
  13. Thanks, I am reviewing your recommendations. I do agree about the case btw. and it doe not come with fans. Suggestions?? Several?
    About the video card. You are correct about the multi monitor connections. It had never occurred to me to scan across multiple monitors! One other thing though. It does have a sub- D connection and it may actually come in handy, or am I just hanging onto the past?! I did consider other vid cards:

    Palit NE5S450HF1101 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video. This one doesn't have the Sub-D on it. ANy other suggestions while we are at it would be great. Spooky Shoes
  14. spooky shoes said:
    Thanks, I am reviewing your recommendations. I do agree about the case btw. and it doe not come with fans. Suggestions?? Several?
    About the video card. You are correct about the multi monitor connections. It had never occurred to me to scan across multiple monitors! One other thing though. It does have a sub- D connection and it may actually come in handy, or am I just hanging onto the past?! I did consider other vid cards:

    Palit NE5S450HF1101 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video. This one doesn't have the Sub-D on it. ANy other suggestions while we are at it would be great. Spooky Shoes



    You need 2 nivida cards to do a 3 monitor set up

    So ati is a better choice for 3 spreads.

    Also ATI cards tend to use less power *and be cheaper*.


    Before you decide to go with a 3 monitor spread know that two things come in play.

    A: It is going to cost ALOT more just for the extra monitors. Each Monitor is going to cost ~100-200$ X 3 thats 300-600$ just on the monitors and 200-400$ more with that set up.

    B: It is more taxing on your hardware *But this is a very low end "game" so that should not be a problem*

    C: You get ugly lines between screens

    D: It will take up alot more space


    I will now go look up if that case comes with fans. :hello:
  15. Well I am looking into your recommendations and this is where I came out at:
    as far as the multi monitor usage goes,... nada! AS it is, this is getting over my pretty little head! One monitor for two blue eyes. I'll stay with the Radeon card.

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822136319
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $64.99

    PowerColor AX5750 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5750 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Item #: N82E16814131331
    -$5.00 Instant


    $129.99
    $124.99


    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817151094
    -$20.00 Instant

    $79.99
    $59.99

    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
    Item #: N82E16835100007
    $9.99

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    Item #: N82E16820231311
    $146.99

    GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813128425
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$15.00 Instant


    $239.98
    $209.98
    ($104.99 each)

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    Item #: N82E16832116754
    $99.99

    Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530
    Item #: N82E16819115222

    Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm ...
    Item #: N82E16811147144
    -$20.00 Instant
    -$15.00 Combo



    Subtotal: $865.90
    Calculate ShippingZip Code: . GO
    Shipping: $18.32
  16. Oh another thing. Do you think that I require a cooling fan on the cpu? I don't actually know if this cpu has a fan associated with it. Should I upgrade that as well? Thanks Spooky Shoes
  17. Best answer
    spooky shoes said:
    Oh another thing. Do you think that I require a cooling fan on the cpu? I don't actually know if this cpu has a fan associated with it. Should I upgrade that as well? Thanks Spooky Shoes



    I am 99% sure it comes with a stock heats sink...


    Ok I got distracted... I still need to check the case if it comes with fans. =) I'm going to go do that


    Uhh why do you have listed that you are getting 2 mother boards....


    --------


    Ok I double checked the i3 *and all processors now* comes with a cooler.

    ALSO has pre applied paste so you don't need that paste that you where thinking of..

    I checked the lanli or w/e its called and I was not able to find if it had stock fans or not....

    but it prob does.

    Anyways take all this stuff make an new thread in the new builds section ask for suggestions.

    They will be able to help you more then I can.

    *Fun fact: I have never built a computer, prob could its not hard, but just have not. Lets just say I'm prob half your age if not younger =p*
  18. It isn't two motherboards. Actually when I edited out the items, it was a carry over from the multi purchase discount. I really don't need twenty at $99.00 each! I am waiting for your analysis of my choices. And if you can help save me some money by offering other options i'd like that. Spooky
  19. spooky shoes said:
    It isn't two motherboards. Actually when I edited out the items, it was a carry over from the multi purchase discount. I really don't need twenty at $99.00 each! I am waiting for your analysis of my choices. And if you can help save me some money by offering other options i'd like that. Spooky



    Ahh ok,


    See my above edit, I don't have much else I can help you with..

    But I will drop by when I see your thread in the new build section.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html

    Make sure to tell them what you need the computer for =)

    Good luck :hello:


    Edit: I just noticed you don't have a DVD player.... you might want to have one... unless you only want to download stuff haha
  20. Best answer selected by spooky shoes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies CPUs Components Product