Help me choose a PC for video editing

Spurano

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi there, I'm new here and would appreciate some help choosing a system for video editing - I do wedding videos so the system will need to handle a lot of footage.

I'm looking at a couple of alternatives - maybe you could give me advice (no technical terms - I'm not overly computer literate!!)

Specification No 1:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom 1055T Six Core Processor
8GB Premium Branded DDR3 Memory
Premium Branded 1500GB SATAII Ultra Fast Hard DiskATI
Radeon HD 5450 1024MB Performance Graphics
Ultra Fast Sony DVDRW
ASRock 770 Extreme3 Motherboard
Quality True Power PSU
Multi Format Memory Card Reader
7.1 High Definition Surround Sound
2x USB 3.0 Ports13x USB 2.0 Ports Firewire
25" Full HD Widescreen

OR

Specification No 2:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 760 Processor
8GB Premium Branded DDR3 Memory
Premium Branded 1500GB SATAII Ultra Fast Hard Disk
2x ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB Performance Graphics
Ultra Fast Sony DVDRW
ASRock P55 Pro Motherboard
Deluxe Gaming CaseCube
750W PSU
Multi Format Memory Card Reader
7.1 High Definition Surround
14x USB2 Ports Firewire
25" Full HD Widescreen
TFTLogitech Deluxe Cordless Desktop

Thanks for your advice and help!!

mi1ez

Splendid
What video software do you use?

You won't need 2 graphics cards for Spec. 2.

How do you transfer video onto the PC? USB? Might be worth getting USB3 ready for when cameras use it.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
^+1 I agree with mi1ez, you don't need... what's that? a crossfired 5450? I doubt it's even possible. Even if it does, the performance increase wouldn't be significant. And as for the USB 3 suggestion, good one... Doesn't even cross my mind... :lol:

From my perspective, the first CPU is a better option due to the number of cores. If your budget permits, the i7 with the same 6 cores is a better performer, with the exchange of around twice the price of AMD's. I'm saying this because I've seen an intel i7 poster at a computer shop having very high mark for video converting tests. It should come in very handy if you're in a tight deadline.

For fail safe purposes, I suggest to replace the 5450 with a better performing GPU, something like the the 5670 or 5770.

Are those pre-built PCs? If possible, assemble a more appropriate PC which will suit your needs. Pay special attention to the PSU, get a more reliable one. Since it's in most cases be the culprit for power failures of a PC.

BTW, what resolution are you using? I've seen both high quality wedding videos with professional cameramen and the so-so one... :D I believe you're in the first category due to the budget for the PC, but more details won't hurt... ;)

I think either would be great but my personal preference would be the Thuban x6.

*Quality True Power* is most likely Antec so I think you are okay, there. I'm not seeing the need for 750w - 500w should be fine (even with 2 x Radeon HD 5450 which, as noted is not a really needed or a good plan).

The ASRock 770 Extreme3 has USB3 & SATA 6Gb/s so you are good, there. Your 8GB of RAMs is great --- but --- a single 1.5 TB HDD is bad news for video editing.

Optimally you need multiple (fast) HDDs for video editing & transcoding. A dedicated SSD for your operating system and applications is a great idea. Something like this ...

OS/Apps: 64GB SSD
HDD #2: Video Capture/Scratch
HDD #3: Video Output
(adding a 'big' HDD #4 for storage/backup is also a good idea)

If it were my *bidness* I'd do this ...

OS/Apps: A-Data 64GB SSD: $112

Video Capture/Scratch: 2 x Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB in RAID

Video Output: 2 x Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB in RAID

Storage/Backup: EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB

I would also purchase an eSATA external enclosure and a second EcoGreen 1.5TB to backup your Storage/Backup HDD. I would do daily critical backups and store the enclosure off-site (or in a 'bullet-proof' fire-proof safe).

A loss of someones wedding video is not recommended for the health of your business :D

edit: If you need some extra cash to help pay for your HDDs you could initially drop from 8GB to 4GB of RAMs.

I don't have any real numbers to back it up, but I suspect 2 x F4 HD322GJs in RAID would be scary 'SSD-compatible' fast for around $100 per array.

It's easy to spend the other guys money -- but the initial setup would hardly be $200 upfront above his current cost (not including $ saved from 8GB to 4GB) - the SSD, 2 x HD322GJs for capture to output & the 1.5TB for storage. He could add the 2xHD322GJ *RAIDs* and external backup after he does his first paying gig for around $250 after his first paying gig.