Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell optiplex gx620 2nd hard drive xp can\'t see it?

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2012 4:20:08 AM

Just installed a WDC wd800jd-00msa1 as second drive xp doswnt see in the list of available drives...... i can't format it. it is listed in device manager.
any suggestions?

More about : dell optiplex gx620 2nd hard drive

October 31, 2012 12:06:35 PM

do you see in the bios?
if not check the sata wires and power socket of sata.

also i am using the same system using 250gb and 500gb without any problem. of 6gb/s
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
October 31, 2012 12:35:01 PM

If it's listed in device management, it should also be listed in disk management. create a partition there and format it.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 12:57:59 PM

Toner,

When I added my 2nd HD to my dell, I had to go into bios (F2) and select the hard drive location (from off to on i believe). Once I did that, all was good - format, then use.

However, my HD did no show up until I did that. Your problem may be different.

FYI. Good Luck.
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:02:15 AM

vampelle said:
do you see in the bios?
if not check the sata wires and power socket of sata.

also i am using the same system using 250gb and 500gb without any problem. of 6gb/s

I have checked the wires and I see it in the bios....It has been turned on in bios but not able to to see it in Xp to format ... Though it does show up in the Device Manager
THX
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:03:26 AM

odiervr said:
Toner,

When I added my 2nd HD to my dell, I had to go into bios (F2) and select the hard drive location (from off to on i believe). Once I did that, all was good - format, then use.

However, my HD did no show up until I did that. Your problem may be different.

FYI. Good Luck.

I have checked the wires and I see it in the bios....It has been turned on in bios but not able to to see it in Xp to format ... Though it does show up in the Device Manager ... maybe adiferent problem?
THX
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:04:03 AM

noidea_77 said:
If it's listed in device management, it should also be listed in disk management. create a partition there and format it.

I have checked the wires and I see it in the bios....It has been turned on in bios but not able to see it in Xp to format ... Though it does show up in the Device Manager
THX
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
November 2, 2012 11:32:35 AM

It shows in device manager, but not in disk management?
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:51:36 PM

noidea_77 said:
It shows in device manager, but not in disk management?

Yes It shows up in Device manager but not in Disk management.... i am sorta confused? any trouble shooting hints?
m
l

Best solution

a c 159 G Storage
November 2, 2012 4:39:12 PM

Go to the company website to download the Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=603...

After install and follow the step by step to test the HDD

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3547/re...

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1083
November 7, 2012 3:19:30 PM

Best answer selected by toner11.
m
l
November 7, 2012 3:21:05 PM

Thanks ... after tinkerer fore a day or 2 i finally managed to mount and ad the new disk using acronis .
Its all formatted and ready to go.
m
l
!