Sign in with
Your question

QX9650 @ 120C for 5mins?!?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2010 10:00:12 AM

I recently purchased a QX9650 to give a little more 'future life' to my machine (replacing a Q6600) on a GA-X38-DQ6 mobo.

I installed the QX9650 in a bit of a hurry (I didn't take out the mobo from the PC case, like i normally would do) - it seemed to go in fine at the time. I fired up the machine - all good - and spent a few minutes checking one or two things out. I then opened SpeedFan and, to my horror, noticed the CPU temp at 120C! I shut down the machine immediately, took out the mobo from the case and (wincing!) noticed that the HSF (Arctic Freezer 7) wasn't seated properly (almost hanging off!) - what an idiot!

When i checked BIOS i noticed that the auto-shut-down feature due to high CPU temps wasn't active, though guessed if I'd done any HUGE permanent damage to the CPU then it just wouldn't work.

I tried re-seating the HSF but wasn't 100% happy with it (one of the 4 pins wasn't protuding quite as much as the others underneath the mobo) but gave this a go, as I'd had this issue before with the fan and it didn't seem a huge problem (my old Q6600 would run at 36-40C, depending on ambient room temp at idle). This time, the core temps were better (but still dreadful!) at 75C!

I'd bought the QX9650 online from soneone saying it was a OEM brand-new product but wasn't happy with it on arrival as it did have some very mild blemishes / scuff marks on the surface, suggesting that it had either been mishandled or - worse - used before! The QX9650 is going to be returned/swapped.

I've reverted to my Q6600 and, this time, the HSF is seated much better (all 4 pins nicely showing underneath the mobo) but i'm noticing the temps are about +5-10C hotter than they used to be.

I guess there is a period of time for the Arctic Silver paste to really work properly but, even so, I'm a little worried that I may've done some damage to where the CPU sits on the Mobo ... I just wondered if this is possible?? By having the QX9650 cooking at over 100C for a few minutes have i somehow damaged where the CPU sits on the mobo, and could this affect the temperatures of future CPUs sitting there?

Thanks for your help, guys :) 

More about : qx9650 120c 5mins

October 15, 2010 10:29:57 AM

Thanks for that. Just a bit worried after a very stupid mistake.

Yes, I cleaned the Q6600 down with the 2 Arctic Silver fluids (the removal one and the other 'extra clean' one - forget it's name) and then re-applied the Arctic Silver.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I applied the Silver in a thin straight horizontal line (as per the instructions on the Arctic Silver www guide) but (as i didn't do this before, and the temps where fine) - I didn't put thermal paste on the HSF surface; just the CPU.
October 15, 2010 10:32:15 AM

P.S. I used to get better (CPU Core temp) results with my Thermal Right Ultima 90. I may go back to that, but found that I had to take the copper plate of the back of the GA-X38-DQ6 board and, as a result of this, the Northbridge temp was pretty hot.
October 15, 2010 10:36:32 AM

Just as an idea ... Obviously I shouldn't put the QX9650 through such extreme circumstances. It didn't ruin it - as it still worked afterwards - but, as a result, could I have damaged it in some small way, so that the particular CPU will now always run a little on the hot side?

Excuse the noob question - i'm not sure of the theory on 'cooking CPUs :) 
October 15, 2010 7:11:43 PM

Paladash said:
Just as an idea ... Obviously I shouldn't put the QX9650 through such extreme circumstances. It didn't ruin it - as it still worked afterwards - but, as a result, could I have damaged it in some small way, so that the particular CPU will now always run a little on the hot side?

Excuse the noob question - i'm not sure of the theory on 'cooking CPUs :) 

I would replace the heatsink. You should not even be getting close to those temps with the stock heatsink. When I had my Q9550 @ 3.7ghz it rarely went above 50C under prime95.
October 15, 2010 7:15:54 PM

Thanks Cory; think i'll ditch the Artic and re-install the Ultima 90 again.
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2010 8:11:17 PM

^ It can take that much, but that is the max temp. It would be like driving your car in the red zone all the time. It wont kill it once in a while, but for prolonged periods of time, it will do some damage. Five minutes worth is nothing to worry about. Just try to keep the temps under 60-65c for 24/7 operation, and 70-75c for stability test and benchmarking. Do you have your thermal protection shut off? The computer should have shut down before it reached 120c.

!