Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mechanical drives vs SSDs in RAID 0 configuration

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2012 5:16:04 AM

Hi Everyone,

In the past I have created a variety of RAID arrays using mechanical drives. As a general rule of thumb I found the data throughput with RAID 0 to be an 80 - 90% speed increase when compared to one drive acting alone.

I am now considering setting up a RAID 0 array using SSDs, more specifically I am looking at purchasing 2 x Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD.

What kind of performance increase can I expect from RAID 0 (of the BIOS variety) when compared to a single SSD? Is it better to pay more for a higher performance SSD and forget about RAID 0? Finally how does RAID 0 affect the life span of an SSD.

Any input here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

More about : mechanical drives ssds raid configuration

a b G Storage
October 31, 2012 8:36:46 AM

As i know the SSD had almost saturate the sata3 bandwidth so in raid it will bottle necked.....

Also some raid can disable TRIM... (without TRIM the ssd will gone bad or had performance drop over time...)

purchasing one bigger/better ssd is better than 2 in raid....
m
l
October 31, 2012 9:22:56 PM

Hello rdc85,

Thank you very much for your response. I have also received a response on another forum that I thought may interest you See post by crjdriver. It appears to be possible with a motherboard that has the Z77 chipset (and others may exist that work) which supports both RAID and TRIM.

Check out these very impressive speed results - RAID 0 SSD Benchmark

Kind Regards,

Davo
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 31, 2012 11:15:32 PM

Mr Davo said:
Hello rdc85,

Thank you very much for your response. I have also received a response on another forum that I thought may interest you See post by crjdriver. It appears to be possible with a motherboard that has the Z77 chipset (and others may exist that work) which supports both RAID and TRIM.

Check out these very impressive speed results - RAID 0 SSD Benchmark

Kind Regards,

Davo

Benchmarks are fun to look at all right, but in real life, there is practically nothing the average person will be doing that could saturate the bandwidth of a single SSD. One of the things that makes an SSD so fast is the quick access time, that is something that is instantly noticeable but even the throughput on a decent make of SSD is simply mind boggling if you have never had the pleasure of using one. When you install a program, it simply blazes through the install in seconds.
I have also been a person who favored RAID 0 configurations in the past. With the cost coming down to reasonable levels for an SSD, and having used an SSD in my system now for over a year, I have completely forgotten about RAID, its an outdated novelty more than anything in my opinion.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 1, 2012 2:13:39 AM

I'm cannot assume u had z77 (since only newest intel chip can do RAID and TRIM, it more safe to assume to not recommend to use raid with ssd). Hehe...:D 
m
l

Best solution

November 1, 2012 3:06:54 PM

There would be benefits.However, you would rarely notice them. Your benchmark numbers would go up by about 85% or so in total throughput, but your latency would probably increase a bit. You can run TRIM on the newest chipset, as mentioned earlier. If you have never used an SSD before, start with one good one. You will be blown away. Unless you have some specific storage intensive application, It would be overkill.
November 1, 2012 9:22:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been running Windows 7 on a Corsair Force 3 SSD for about a year now - the speeds are very impressive, particularly boot up times!

At the moment I am slowly but surely acquiring the parts for what I consider to be a "dream machine" - this computer will feature Viper RAM, and a FSB of 2133 MHz. The next bottle neck down from the FSB is definitely the hard drives so I am trying to get a sense of what having SSD in RAID 0 will achieve.

I have also read that a VelociRaptor (mechanical drive) is a good way to go. Currently I am stuck between installing one SSD for the OS, and a VelociRaptor for DATA, or alternatively installing 2 x SSD in RAID 0 (for both the OS & Data - then performing regular backups [probably nightly]).

The most intensive work that I have done is on PhotoShop files that are about 1 Gigabyte in size, and improved write speeds will serve me more than improved read speeds. I did notice that SSD in RAID 0 improves read speeds dramatically, but the same cannot be said for write speeds.

Any advice, or personal opinions are welcome.

Kind Regards,

Davo
m
l
a b G Storage
November 1, 2012 10:27:11 PM

rdc85 said:
I'm cannot assume u had z77 (since only newest intel chip can do RAID and TRIM, it more safe to assume to not recommend to use raid with ssd). Hehe...:D 

No, I do not have a z77. You don't need one to be completely blown away by what a SSD can do for performance. If you have never used one, just buy one, install it, and prepare to be completely amazed. You will forget about RAID because a single SSD is so fast, you will understand why I say RAID is an antiquated thing, you simply don't need it anymore.
m
l
November 11, 2012 10:59:52 PM

Best answer selected by Mr Davo.
m
l
!