Memtest86 errors

rubeel

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I recently bought a
GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1090T (3.2GHz) AM3, HDT90ZFBGRBOX (Black Edition).
2 x Patriot Memory Sector 5 G Series 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel PGV38G1333ELK

So with total 16GB ram, i constantly get BSOD. i decided to run MEMTEST86

It gives tons of errors at TEST 7 (Block MOVE)

I have tried with each 4GB stick separately in the slot, i still get the errors
I tried with a different slot and still get the errors.

then i noticed that the MB was using 7-7-7-20 setting in the DRAM config and using less than the power that was expected so i made it 9-9-9-24 and made the voltage to 1.65V.

I also switched to Ganged mode as i read online somewhere on this forum that it fixed the problem for someone with a Gigabyte Mobo

I still get the same errors and they within seconds end up more than 26 thousand + (then i just bounce it to ticket with it more)

I haven't made any other changes yet but don't know what i am making the mistake or where the error was. I don't think it is bad memory sticks anymore.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have some extra RAM sticks laying around?
If so try those out.

Although I kind of find it unlikely that 4-4GB sticks are all bad (its possible though).

Where did you buy this system from? A friend? Online?

Are you using a 64bit OS? If not...that's the only way to take advantage of all 16GB of RAM. If you only use a 32Bit OS, you can only use about ~4GB of RAM.

Also if you really think it's not your RAM, you may want to check out the motherboards DIMM slots to see if any of the pins are bent or broken.

One more thing, do you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboarD? Sometimes having the latest BIOS update helps out quite a bit.

If none of this works, it may possibly be your motherboard.

Let us know once you try this out.

rubeel

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
This is a system i built, i have done enough systems in the past so i know i am not making a mistake in installing. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I tried different slots with same result so if one was bad or two but not all 4 . I dont have extra RAM right now but thinking of getting some to rule out any issue with the RAM still. (wife is going to kill me)

Might look at the bios update but i think i am already at the latest

Ok.

I read somewhere that someone got similar issues and it had something to do with the memory controller - and a BIOS update supposedly fixed the issue.

Also check to see if there are any bulges on the capacitors on the motherboard. They are these cyclindrical parts attached to the motherboard and usually you can see lots near the CPU, as well as around the motherboard. If there are bulges, it means your motherboard might be toast - or will be toasted and might have to RMA it.