Side Panel: Intake or exhaust (in my case)

elninost0rm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hey all,

I know the side fade is most often used as intake. I will explain why I don't think it's possible (or advisable) in my current situation.

I have the Centurion 5 case from Coolermaster. This case has a 120mm rear slot, 80mm front slot (intake), and a side panel which has an air duct while stock.

To make a long story short, I got the Corsair H50 and I'm doing the push/pull setup with the radiator. 2 Rosewill 120mm fans make up this setup, and it is currently set as intake per the H50's instructions.

The lack of a top slot REALLY makes it necessary for the side slot to be exhaust.

Using GTX460 (which has its own exhaust), i5-760 (cooled by H50).

Would I be okay making the side exhaust instead of intake? Obviously I removed the stock air duct to make room for the H50, so there can be an 80mm fan there now. Any opinions welcome.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Well, if you turn it into an exhaust, logically there will be a conflict o f air supply direction. I assume the side panel fan is directly face to face with your CPU cooler. Imagine that little space where the air supply needed by the fan is also being sucked away by the exhaust fan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the initial setup is most likely be more appropriate.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Oh, so that's it... :sweat: If that's the case, then I agree with you. I really missed the radiator part, guess I need to read slower now. Since the CPU is covered by the radiator cooling, you'll only need to pay attention to the inside of the case air circulation. Thanks for pointing my mistake, ct.