Migrating a local user profile

I have a few computers that are currently operating in workgroup mode but
need to operate as members of our Active Directory Domain. In the past after
I have added the computers to the AD when the user logs in their setting are
lost and Windows XP has created a new user profile for the user. Copying the
old profile to the new profile does not seem to work very well. Is there any
way to copy the users settings to this new account or migrate the users
profile to the new domain configuration?
1 answer Last reply
More about migrating local user profile

    Donovan wrote:

    > I have a few computers that are currently operating in workgroup mode but
    > need to operate as members of our Active Directory Domain. In the past after
    > I have added the computers to the AD when the user logs in their setting are
    > lost and Windows XP has created a new user profile for the user. Copying the
    > old profile to the new profile does not seem to work very well. Is there any
    > way to copy the users settings to this new account or migrate the users
    > profile to the new domain configuration?
    Hi,

    I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
    the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
    needs to log on at least once first).

    From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08

    If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

    More here as well:

    Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87

    HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Computers Windows XP