Sign in with
Your question

I Need Help Installing New Ram

Last response: in Memory
June 8, 2011 10:38:09 PM

Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to this forum but I need help upgraded my old dell laptop computer. It's a dell inspiron 9300 with 1gb of ram already in it. I need to install some more memory because it runs a bit slugish on some programs. This is the part and the type of memory installed:

Y5522 - 512Mb Memory Module (533 Mhz) for Dell Computers

I was curious if where I could upgrade the ram. Are there certain website I can go buy it off of or can I just swing by Best Buy and pick up some? Is it possible to install at least 2-3gb of new ram?

More about : installing ram

a b } Memory
June 8, 2011 11:41:48 PM

Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com are popular websites that sell computer parts.

If you are running a 32 bit OS, your best bet is to get 2GB. Get a kit with two 1 GB sticks. Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This will replace the memory you have installed. I think this might be the max you can put in that laptop. Check your manual.
m
l
June 9, 2011 7:36:21 PM

Hi there,

Checked your manual and yes, your computer has 2 SODIMM RAM slots, and the maximum RAM it will hold is 2GB.

I agree, buy a kit with 2 1GB RAM sticks, and remove your old onew for safe keeping. That will max out this computer.

You can find them at Amazon, NewEgg, and also there is a selection, some brand new, on Ebay. Many have a lifetime guarantee.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 10:34:52 PM

QUESTION:

I was searching through google and this came up. I was wondering if this would work for the Dell Inspiron 9300? It's a 4gb kingston SODIMM ddr2 from the dell website. Would this fit the computer as long it is SODIMM?

m
l
a b } Memory
June 9, 2011 10:42:42 PM

According to your computer's manual, that will not work. The manual claims a 2GB maximum. If you have a 32 bit OS, there's no point in having more than 2GB anyway.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9300/e...

Your best bet is to get two 1 GB sticks to replace the ones you have in there. Go for the RAM i linked earlier.
m
l
!