BTMoonlight

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Hey, I need some help concerning my GPU.
I followed the reviews on this card on this site, it was great. I also looked up newegg/amazon and it was borderline.
I purchased a sapphire 5870 around june
The only game I've played for awhile was Bad company 2 to which ran great.
However, I started to miss playing some other games and decided to install mass effect/mass effect 2/modern warfare 2 to which...

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Constantly. Seemingly towards higher detail moments in game.
The specs of the PC is

Win7 Ultimate
i7
P6T SE motherboard
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz
650w PSU

Will absolutely appreciate any input/advice/suggestions/FIX especially, thank you!

Likely need to clean-up your Windows install, it's a windows issue (often exacerbated by bit-rot, bad memory, and even poor DX install) and every now and then you end up with this message (similar to nV's nvlddmkm message) instead of a full hard-lock/BSOD.

This site has a bunch of the fixes listed;
http://www.atikmdag.com/

and it's sister site;
http://www.nvlddmkm.com/

BTMoonlight

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I called amd and they seem to know about the problem unless the solution is what he tells everyone.
"Probably hardware, check your ram, cpu, motherboard. 5% of the time it's software, 95% hardware."
I don't like the idea of touching my registry..
Seems to be only 3-4 methods I could do.. I've done some and haven't witnessed a crash but then again, it's really random when it occurs.

Well i have seen many users not able to solve this problem and ended up RMAng the card.
So if different drivers and the methods that TGGA posted didn't help either,try RMA it(i had this problem with my notebook too, and i couldn't solve it.I tried many different ways but no luck)

BTMoonlight

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I just discovered that amdkmdap is for radeon and nvidia has their own similar called nvlddmkm.

Is there a way to figure out what is exactly causing this problem? Just so I don't switch to nvidia only to find out I'm still getting event 4101

TRENDING THREADS