Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Operating system not found after installing new hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 31, 2012 2:20:34 PM

Hello,
after a catastrophic hard drive failure, in my Acer Asire 1680 laptop, I have installed a new hard drive.
It is found in the bios.
I then followed all the instructions as regards restoring the operating system from the Acer supplied recovery and system disks. This all seemed to go well, and if I attach the new drive to a working pc it all seems to be there.
However, no matter what I do the above error message appears when I try to boot "operating system not found".
I thought the new drive may be faulty and replaced it with another. Same result.
I am at a loss now and would appreciate some help please
October 31, 2012 2:46:26 PM

If you had a catastrophic failure your OS and all data on that drive are gone. you will need to do a clean install of the OS on your new HDD.
October 31, 2012 2:49:15 PM

tripledouce said:
If you had a catastrophic failure your OS and all data on that drive are gone. you will need to do a clean install of the OS on your new HDD.



Thanks for replying, yes, that is what I am attempting, with the above result :-(
Related resources
October 31, 2012 2:53:27 PM

No you are trying to recover the system with those disks, wont work . you need a OS disk( I assume win7) and use that to install the OS on your new drive then use your OEM licsense key that came with you System.
October 31, 2012 2:56:12 PM

tripledouce said:
No you are trying to recover the system with those disks, wont work . you need a OS disk( I assume win7) and use that to install the OS on your new drive then use your OEM licsense key that came with you System.


No the O/S system is on those disks, I just cant seem to access it
October 31, 2012 2:59:21 PM

well what happens when you boot to the CD the OS is on?
October 31, 2012 3:02:19 PM

tripledouce said:
well what happens when you boot to the CD the OS is on?


All appears to go well the disk is formatted and all the files appear to be installed, it goes all the way through the process to the end
October 31, 2012 3:09:31 PM

your restore disk is looking for a recovery partition on your old drive that is not there that is why this is not working for you. you will need a windows installation CD
October 31, 2012 3:12:22 PM

tripledouce said:
your restore disk is looking for a recovery partition on your old drive that is not there that is why this is not working for you. you will need a windows installation CD



As it installs from the system disc I can see the Windows files being installed!!
!