Lan Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekharg2007

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi friends.,
My name is Sekhar.G.I am working as System Admin in Tech Engineers. I am seeking for networking Solution have to extend my LAN from Head office and Annex,distance between my office 250 mtr.I am planning connecting between two office with the help of Device Name LAN Extender.So please suggest feasible for getting a proper connectivity between the offices using LAN Extender and also share all other methods for connecting between two offices.
My Doubt is.,

Is it possible using LAN Extenders?
If any data loss at the time communication?
:( PLEASE HELP ME :( :cry:

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
A fiber optic connection would probably be the normal route. It's fairly easy to find routers with 2 or 4 fiber ports on ebay. If you get a managed switch, you can even get link aggregation so your two 1Gb fiber ports act like a single 2Gb fiber port. It'll probably cost $100-$500 for a pair of switches, depending on what you get. Yesterday, I bought a refurbished, low-end, managed dell switch off ebay for $135 that has 24x 1Gb ports and two ports can use fiber connections. There were still some left. I don't know much about fiber, but I'm guessing the cable will cost about $800, plus installation if you want it buried.

Another, slower option is wireless and directional antennas, but I'm sure everything has changed drastically since I have looked into it. I went to a church that used this to go 150m and my college used it for some apartments that were a few miles away.

guruefx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
better go with cat 5
bcz in common tcp/ip, is uses 2 wire for sending & 2 for receiving..so you may need 4 wires(2 pairs)so use cat 5(but i'm not sure about that telephone cable can do it..)

i think that 250$ is costly..
what about using 3 switches or repeater ,hub like that.. they will be cheap..
i guess that you are from kerala, switch are available from INR 500 Rs onwards

sekharg2007

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

Thanks
Manoj :hello: Byeeeeeee
Have A Nice DAy

G

i have my head office and three branches connected with this lan extender and dead cable pairs hired from telecom (BSNL). The distance of branches varies from 3 to 5 kms. the cost of lan extender per pair is around 30,000/ on pinging the time delay comes up to 2 to 6 ms. occassionaly it goes up to 12ms. i am on testing it and not put in to actual data transfer. The cost of the bsnl cable pairs for whole year comes around 39000 at an average cost of 13000 per pair.
satheesh, nandanamatrediffmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.